Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lockers and towing

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by DesertDueler, Dec 15, 2002.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

What are you guys using? I have a 12 bolt in the rear. The front of mine has an auburn. I am now running 38.5s, so I dont think an aburn in the rear is going to work well. I tow with it, and I was thinking a detroit true trac. Let me know. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

Dan

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I know this isn't what you want to hear...but, it's the truth. With tires that size, and towing, and wanting a locker...you need to step up to a 14 bolt. Then, put a detroit in it and tow away!! You'll get some weird handling effects around corners while driving with the locker, especially with a trailer...but at least your axleshafts won't twist into two pieces.
    (It would be best to tow with an open diff)

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The True Trac isn't a locker. It behaves more like a limited slip. But I'm pretty sure that they don't recommend using it with tires larger than about 32 inches. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. DesertDueler

Well my 12 bolt has hardened axles in it, so I am not to worried about in snaping, but eventually it may got with a 14 FF. But not until I get a new truck.

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i thought all axle shafts were hardened.

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I am not to worried about in snaping

[/ QUOTE ]

All I can say to that is....HA. Just wait. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I'm using the 14 bolt FF and a Detroit in between 38's. I don't see anything less holding up to too much weight. Let me suggest you go bigger otherwise it will snap at the worst possible time. Like when you're hauling your most prized possesion.
    [​IMG]

8. DesertDueler

Okay, the axles are alloy axles. Sooner or later I will go to a 14 FF, but for now I am staying with the 12 bolt since it already has 4.56 gears, and everything in it is new.

Dan

9. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Don't use a locker, it'll put too much stress on things. If you want some bit of traction aid, go with the Eaton posi. It costs about $10 more than an Auburn, but it's rebuildable, unlike the Auburn. Or, if you really have the money, get an ARB.
    The Detroit tru trac relies on gears, much like a Zexel Torsen posi, but I've heard people blowing them up in front axles on 33's.
    A detroit is over $500, for about $100 more, you can get selectability with the ARB. See if Steve (Off Camber) can get you a deal...

10. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I asked about an eaton posi once, and the guy at eaton told me it'd cost me 3 times as much to get it installed, as getting a detriot done. the Eaton posi for the 14 bolt full floater was sold in chevy trucks under the name `Gov-loc' and we all know how strong those are. plus, to install it, you need a govlock carrier, which takes away from the whole bullet proof aspect of the differential. if you're going to upgrade the axle eventually anyway, you may as well save the money, and hassle, and just wait to get it all put into your 14bff.

-Rich

11. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I shelled the GOV-Loc in my 2001 burban one would think GM would know that a 8.1 would kill the Gov-loc 14ff or not but there dont it did I now run the detriot it tows trails of 12k plus with no handeling probleams