Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lockers, everyday driving????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chev4life, Feb 6, 2004.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

How is driving on the street with a detroit locker? I am looking at getting a 14ff with a detroit and I am wondering how my rig will handle daily driving if need be?

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

If its setup right, you won't notice it that much... atleast I dont... maybe its setup wrong and not engaging? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

No but really, everyone says you have to "get used to it" but I didn't think it was that big of a deal. If you gas it around a corner you'll chirp. youll hear it clunk if you're slowing down for a redlight and it turns green and you give it some gas. no big deal really.

3. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

I can't notice really, unless you get on it around a corner. They (who "they" are I don't know) say not to use your cruise control when it is slick, snowy, icy out with a locker cause you will get a little squirly.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I can't notice really, unless you get on it around a corner. They (who "they" are I don't know) say not to use your cruise control when it is slick, snowy, icy out with a locker cause you will get a little squirly.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really shouldn't use your cruise when it's slick out anyway.......whether you have a locker or not..........

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I've got one in my crew cab and I don't really notice it at all. Occaisionally I can feel it "push" the rear a little when making a sharp, low speed turn (parking lots, etc) but that's all.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hmmm, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I think I'll be getting a detroit too... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

How about towing with a detroit?

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I find I get a little bit of 'locker steer' with my Detroit. Add a little throttle and it wants to go left a little in the lane...take your foot completely off the throttle and it wants to go right a little.

A truck with an automatic tranny would have less of this...I get it with every shift.

Rene

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The locker steer is more like really bad bump steer. I have gotten used to it. I barely notice that it is there anymore. I only really get feedback when I am on the throttle or in the rain. I ran a welded rear before, and an open before that. I love my detroit. I would not change it out for anything. Oh and this is my DD

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I haven't towed with mine yet but I think it'll be ok. I would imagine if a person lived where the roads iced up it could be a problem.

I agree with Rene, my old K10 had both a 4spd and auto over the years and his description is dead on. Also with the 4spd mine unlocked/locked a lot where as with my auto it either stays locked or I never notice the action (Ithink it stays locked because I never hear the "ping" of it relocking like with the 4spd).

10. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I run dual detriots and I don't notice them, whether its in 2wd or 4wd. The only time you will notice it is when it "dis-engauges" aka, a loud clunk and a slight jerk. It doesn't happen the often, but I don't even notice it now.

11. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Cool deal, I think a detroit it is going to be. Hopefully it works with towing and such.

12. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I have towed with mine and had no problems. You'll love the locker, don't even hesitate with purchasing one. Mine is also a DD.

13. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I agree, dont hesitate to own a Detroit in a 14FF, after hearing all the horror stories I was shocked at how quiet and smooth it works on the street. Some tire chirp around corners every now and then, but hey, its cool! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

powrk lok do the click noises too,

only thing id be worried about with a true locking diff unit is in winter when ice and nsow is around, back end of vehicle would easily whip out form behind you

15. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Might be a dumb question but if you get a detroit with your 4.10's will it work if you switch to 4.56, 5.13, etc.? or will you have to sell it and buy a different one?

16. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Depends on the axle, but that's often the carrier break. If it is the break (4.10 and down, 4.56 and up) then going to deeper gears will take a new carrier, a thick gear set, or a spacer on the ring (I don't like these).

I've had many vehicles locked in the rear and ususally don't notice. I've got a 1 ton K5 on 35s right now locked front and rear, no regrets, no problems. Just got to keep on your toes turning in the rain though.

17. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

How bad is it in the rain? Should I worry or is it mild?...low speeds only or changing highway lanes and stuff like that?

18. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The rain issue is just in slower turning. The locker locks up a little more often and causes understeer which becomes oversteer when is unlocks again. I would not worry about it however. You just have to be aware of it, that's all.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Exactly. My DD has a Lock-Right in it. Other than making some funky noises once in a while, and having to drive a little bit more carefully in icey off ramps from the highway, I've had no issues from it in over 20,000 miles.

20. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you have a 4.10 detroit and you regear just use the thick gear sets that work with the 4.10 carrier. If you switch to the 4.56 carrier you will need a new locker, but if you just get the thicker gears for the 4.10 carrier you don't need a new locker.

harley