Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lockers for 12 bolts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jmask, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Jmask

Jmask Registered Member

I need to get better traction on the rear, I'm running 33/12.5/15's, with a corporate 12 blt, dana 44 in the front w/trac lk and 3.73's gears. I was told I had LS in the back when I bought the rig(then again-I was told i had 4.11 gears), I opened her up and found a carrier with 2 rods near the opening, one that had a little gear at the end lined up with a gear underneath the spider gear and a 1/2 inch log tab in the center. the oher rod had like a 3/4 inch long by 1/2 inch wide block in the center of it that would lock on to the other rod. I've never seen anything like it, maybe some one else has. My guess is that this is LS from factory.(?) Where could I get a good deal on a detroit locker for a 12 bolt? All responses welcome.

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Sounds like the Gov Lock (aka "The Exploder") on a Detroit, Drivetrain Direct, Randys Ring and Pinion, just compare prices and one will match the other. Beware of Drivetrain Warehouse. They are Four Wheel Parts Wholesalers in disguise.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>

3. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Yup, it's a Gov Loc all right.

Randy's Ring and Pinion might have a good used Detroit in stock for cheap.

4. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

I just did this myself. after looking at choices and calling around I settled on buying a detroit EZ locker. its half theprice of a detroit locker which I was going to get but what I do in mine it will work fine for awhile. Randy's ring and pinion got my business. I didnt even have to work them for the best price.

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blueknight.alloffroad.com>http://blueknight.alloffroad.com</a>

5. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Blueknight,

Don't go with the EZ Locker in the rear on the 12 Bolt. I put 2 in mine, and both exploded in the parking lot hill right after I installed it. I sent both back to Detroit and finally got a CLocker. I would advise against the EZ Locker in the rear. Just my .02 worth. Now when I got the C Locker, I have had no problems since.

Robzilla