Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lockers for 14BFF?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OffRoader93, Sep 22, 2003.

1. OffRoader93

OffRoader93 1/2 ton status

Are Ox Lockers and/or Air Lockers made for a 14BFF? Thanks

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

...just weld it.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

nope on the air and don't think so on the ox

5. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i second the weld it post /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Somehow I doubt that someone asking about selectable lockers is interested in welding the diff... ARB is in perpetual development, I'd be surprised if it ever comes out. Ox was apparantly bought out by someone (4WPW?) but they have never had one for thr FF anyways. I've heard that www.killeraxles.com will have one for the FF eventually, but so far nothing has materialized.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I really don't see what the point is unless you live somewhere that it snows every day. My daily driver has an automatic locker in the back and I have driven it like that for a long time. The back tires aren't wearing any faster than the fronts so I haven't really noticed any ill effects except for it's loud and obnoxious at times. You do learn to drive with it to cut the noise, but mine makes some loud banging sounds at times when it re-engages. Other than that, I hardly notice it's there anymore, unless I drop the clutch kinda hard and leave two black stripes on the road.

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

another option that is cheap is a 14bolt with the gov-lock. They don't work as good as the detroit but they're cheap and better than an open carrier. just another idea. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've heard that www.killeraxles.com will have one

[/ QUOTE ]
    I've e-mailed them for one recently, and they said it should be out near christmas

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

good call, no need for a rear selectable locker really. If it snows a LOT where you live and you're worried about the locker being a problem, get some chains fur ur tires.

j

12. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Unless of course you happen to be towing in the snow or negotiating a snowy/icy pass. I've done both with and without lockers. I'll take the locker for deep snow and an open diff for the rest. Chains are good but way too slow for any praticle use on the street and can be dangerous on ice.
    Mike

13. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    Chains are good but way too slow for any praticle use on the street and can be dangerous on ice.
    Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

where are you supposed to use chains if not on the street...

i hope it gets hella snowy/icy this year hear, I have chains for all 4 tires + 2 detroits... wanna try it out just for fun... go to a nice big parking lot or something.

j

14. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I've used them on my K5 with 35's in the mountains with lots of snow. They are really helpful. I dragged a friends ramcharger sideways to get him unstuck once. They are also good if you have a lot of snow on the roads. That just doesn't happen very often in most places. Any other time, chains will drop you to 20MPH and that is just too slow to get from point A to point B. I'll take a good set of studded snow tires for 99% of my street driving with a posi or open diffs over locked diff(s). Off road, I'll take the locker. You just need to decide where you spend your time and what the trade offs are for each mod. The selectable locker let's you use your truck on the street as a truck and off road as a good trail vehicle assuming that it fits. The trade off is cost and maintenance.

You should have a blast with four chains and the lockers in deep snow. Even without the chains, you could do donuts forever with just the rear driving.
    Mike

15. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

16. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go with a Detroit locker,fits right in the carrier,Around 300.00......................................

17. jekbrown

"Manufactured in Australia, Birthplace of Extreme 4 Wheeling". /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

j

18. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Cheaper then a detroit.. Yet not welded.. It seems to be a good compromise..

http://www.offroadlockers.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

They have a great product. We gave one away at the UCP ride this year and the owner of the US market is great. He was at the UCP ride wheeling with us. As soon as a D60 one is available I will have one to play with.

19. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Cheaper then a detroit.. Yet not welded.. It seems to be a good compromise..

http://www.offroadlockers.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

They have a great product. We gave one away at the UCP ride this year and the owner of the US market is great. He was at the UCP ride wheeling with us. As soon as a D60 one is available I will have one to play with.

[/ QUOTE ]
    can you let me know when it is available for the dana 60 as well id like to get one /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

There is a good wright up about it on pirate.. Seems like they are pretty strong.. With a two year warrantey.. $199.99 isn't a bad price... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif