Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lockers... not the differential kind

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, May 1, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know of any companies that make lockers that you can bolt to the floor or something to keep tow straps in and misc. things if I want to keep my top off for extended periods of time .. like all summer? I don't always want to load and unload stuff when going somewhere so i was thiking it would be easier to leve everything in a locker bolted to the floor and use a padlock or something to keep it secure.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Only thing I know of thats a bolt in is the Tuffy console, which will hold a fair amount of stuff.

I'd bet that a few companies make the "over the wheelwell" truck boxes, but with our rear seats, I bet they aren't real easy to fit. Probably best off making something, or, like me, buy a pre-made box at a swapmeet, and adapt it to your use. (my case a trailer accessory box)

I would think using at least the stock spare tire mount bolt hole in the bed to attach it might work, if you aren't still using the stock spare tire mount.

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

sluggo45acp has a real nice box in the back of his rig. It is bolted to the floor and I believe it locks. Shoot him a PM and ask about his. NOTE: he does not have a rear seat installed.

4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Knack makes a "gang box" that would work pretty well, also look for a company called "Pack Rat".

5. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Some of the boxes are pricey but, they claim to be pry bar proof : www.tuffyproducts.com

I have the center console and it is very heavy duty.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Good old military ammo boxes, they come in various sizes and they are water tight. Some have the ability to lock and others don't but you could make it lock with little work.

7. Yea, I was gonna say Military Ammo cans as well. You could make them lock real easy if you got some that dont already. Later 80K20

8. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Where can I get some of those bad boys?

9. If there is any Army surplus stores, gun shows etc. around you they will always be there. They come in many different sizes and are already OD Green! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Later 80K20

10. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

hey derek the closest army surplus store would be in aransas pass. i don't know exactly where it is but i'll ask my dad. i want some of those boxes too. i think they were the 50 cal. boxes that looked like the best to use. then again ya can just wait for the next gun show to go. oh and chris wants to go muddin near that lake near the playground at oso. he wants to do it for this saturday. we should go. later.

jacob

11. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

As everyone suggested already, tuffy boxes, ammo cans, and the like all work well, but you might want to also consider storing some things under the hood. Assuming you only have one battery on the pass. side, the space on the driver's side offers some room and you don't really need a fancy container. Few petty theives would bother to pop the hood looking for stuff.

12. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Is this a pickup or Blazer? If it is a pickup, I recommend an aluminum tool box. If it is a Blazer, try a toolbox made for a stepside pickup. It should fit in the cargo area of the Blazer.

13. gpd4

gpd4 Registered Member

I have a Husky truck box and it fits behind the back seat. I drilled two holes to line up with the locator pins for the hard top and then used the existing tapped holes for the top to bolt it down. It locks, its waterproof (almost) and it looks OK. The only drawback is that your visibility goes to pot behind you. It sticks up about 8 or 9 inches over the tailgate.