Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lockers on ice

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sapper, Aug 24, 2001.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i know some of you are getting tired of the locker questions but i need to ask one very specific question. what will happen if a 14ff with a detroit get on the ice. its important because i will be taking the familly to michigan this christmas towing and a trailor and dont want to put something on my truck that could get everybody a free trip to the emergincy room.thanks

Cause Stone Cold said so !!

2. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

A Lot Of Sliding Around. I Wont Drive Mine On Ice Its To Hard To Keep It On The Road {NO TRACTION}. But Who Needs Roads?

A Big Hammer Can Fix Anything ..

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I experienced driving with a locker on sheet ice last year. We had a bad ice storm in arkansas this past january. You could see clear though the ice to the street, was probably a 1/4 to 1/2" thick with NO SNOW on top of it. Walking was difficult, much less driving. If you drive in 4WD with a locker on ice, it really isn't a big deal. Sure, the rear end wants to fishtail, but not that bad. I would not recommend driving on ice in 2wd though. The tires will just spin, and pull the rear to the right. Even having said that, a locker can't be beat offroad, and it's great in just about everything else. Just my .02

BIGJ

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

soumds like i might have to get one thanks

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Does it really matter what you have while on ice.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

6. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I think as long as you know whats going to happen and don't get scared or over react then you will be fine.I drove my welded rear around and it did just fine if you know the characteristicts of your truck.I would say go find a nice empty icy parking lot next snow storm and experiment.Anyways is a load of fun.

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

If you are afraid of it then I would wait until winters over to put it in. Or put it in now and take it out before the trip. Lockers are very easy to install on the 14bolt FF. It just replaces the spider gear assembly.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs locked front.Other cars 69 Firebird w/525 hp,and 70 GTO <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>MY vehicles</a>

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

That was my question exactly wayne

What is and what should never be....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

9. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

if you haven't already bought it think about arb.
    if you plan on driving on the street in the snow at highway
    speeds . it's the best choice, not much more money. i had lock rights before .loved them untill the first
    snow

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well very aggressive H pattern chains will make ice a nothing kinda deal even with a locker. I drive mine welded up in the winter and unless the road is very off camber its really no problem. Mind you if the road is really sloped one way or the other a locker is the least of your worries.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>