Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lockers: Powertrax or detroit?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Silverado4x4, Dec 12, 2000.

1. Silverado4x4

Silverado4x4 Registered Member

I wanna get a locker for my front axle, and am leaning towards powertrax's new "no slip" locker. Anyone have a powertrax lock right or no slip? How are they in the mud and also, how are they in the snow? I'd think you'd need some amount of slip in the snow, but im not sure... would like some feedback so i can make a decision soon. Thanks..

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I went with the ARB in the front, Detroit in the rear. The problem with the locker in the front is the tendency to "push" in snow, and also is a little hairy on ice or hard pack snow...You can always get out and unlock a hub at the sharp turns, but that is where the ARB shines, just switch it off for the turn or ice driving, switch it on when you need it again, all from the warm and cozy cab!

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i agree with kpanza if you are going to be in snow arb is the best way to go in my opinion that is what is going in mine. i know some people dont like them because of the air line and that it could get snagged and ripped lose but i am going to put the air line inside of a hard line when i do this to keep that from happening

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

There are a LOT of people with Lock-Rite's in our club. They work just as good as something like a Detroit when it comes to traction, though some don't seem to be as quiet or smooth when disengaging as the new Detroits (aka soft locker), but they also have the same drawbacks on pavement or icy roads as the Detroit.