Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lockers Pro and Con

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ks2krpt, Sep 18, 2004.

1. ks2krpt

ks2krpt Registered Member

I am considering installing a Lock Right Locker in the rear Differential. My driving is both on and off road. What is the experience here on how it will hold up and not fail with on/off road use? I have heard that on road use can tear them up.

Thanks
    Paul

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well , I have heard bad and good . I have a Detroit EZ locker ( very close to lockright ) and although I have had onroad trouble , fixed it , only to come back and pop often , I still LOVE the performance off road . I think my trouble lies in the tolerances of a 30 year old carrier . You probably won't have any problems with a lockright . And I can say from 6 months of running locked on the street with stock axles , you will not break an axle driving NORMALLY . I get hard bangs and pops sometimes , sounds like breakage , and all is well . I am pulling mine anyway to waranty , then putting it in another axle later to swap in my truck . because like I said my carrier is old .

Get new thrust washers , good oil , and you'll be fine more than likely /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've been abusing my LockRights for a year now. I probably average 3-4 hours/week wheeling time and have probably burned off 14,000 miles since putting them in.

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

pro: awesome traction

con: onroad driving quirks.

con: somewhat dangerous driving in icy conditions.(fishtailing)

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For me, a Detroit Locker is the only way too go.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

What size tires are you running? Those lockers seem to be more noticable with the smaller ones.

I say do it and hang onto the spider gears. If you dont like it, you can switch it back out and sell it.

I think you'll like it though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. ks2krpt

ks2krpt Registered Member

What are the on road driving quirks. The tires are 900x16.

Paul

8. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The tires are 900x16.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

they occasionally make loud booming crash noises that have your new passengers ask
    "WTF was that?"
    to which, after a few years, you will respond
    "what was what? oh that is normal locker sounds and I do not even hear them anymore"

if you drive a manual tranny you will notice a lot more backlash and the occasional 'locker induced lanechange' effect which will also fade from extended use.

dont be lending your ride in nasty weather

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

sounds like a 36" tall, narrow tire like a Michelin XL
    speaking of which we have a set coming back from the retreader with a pattern called M70
    can't wait to see it, the M80 looked to tame hoping m70 is nastier

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Pro: Gets it loose easy
    Con: Gets it loose easy

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have been running a lockrite for 4 years now. On, off road, towing. It sees a lot of hard use. Still works good.
    If you are putting one in an old rear end it is wise to get new thrust washers and a pinion pin. You need the new parts because clearances are critical with Lockrites. If they are too sloppy they will wear out fast. Using a good quality 85-140 wt gear lube helps keep them quieter.

13. ugly

ugly 1/2 ton status

I have detroit front and rear. I don't get any noise with street driving, but it is hard (impossible) to steer when in 4x4. I have been told that the front is probably not unlocking corectly.

Wheels like mad!

So far so good for me. I will change to an air locker front when it breaks or I get bored.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have lockers f/r in my truck and a locker in the rear of my daily driver. The rear of my daily driver has a lockright which I ground the ring gear to install because the axle is so small. I have put 35,000 miles on it since then with no issues.

I agree on the loud clanging and banging, and backlash. I have never experienced the locker induced lane change but I have had a little rear sway from it locking and unlocking. I rarely notice it anymore unless I force it to lock around a corner. I do drive in snow and I prefer a locked rear to anything else.

Pros - awesome traction, on any surface, to the point that it's like an entirely different truck

Cons - may cause sliding on wet surfaces if you're not used to driving with it Cost is also one. Tire wear will increase.

Like m j says, don't lend your rig out in foul weather. My dad almost lost control on an exit ramp.

15. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

sorry about the Hijack, but I was wondering about the same thing. But I tow a 21ft travel trailer, would a locker cause any dangers in this type of use?

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Not in my opinion. I think that is complete hype. What do others think?

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

agree
    If you suck at driving it doesn't matter what the differential is
    I started driving like any country boy as soon as I was tall enough to be put to use
    always loved Team Sideways style driving, they call it drifting these days as if it was a new concept