Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lockers & steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RPM, Sep 11, 2006.

1. RPM

RPM Registered Member

Anyone using the electronic lockers that are out there like the Auburn ECTED and if so how are they holding up? Also I have seen a lot of info on ORD crossover steering kits but none on the ORU crossover steering kits. http://www.offroadunlimited.com I’m looking to install crossover steering and trying to figure out witch one would work out the best. I’m leaning towards the ORU kit any advice or reviews would be nice thanks.

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

How much lift do you run? The ORU kit is 6" minimum as it has a straight draglink. Anything less and you will have contact issues with you engine crossmember or oil pan. Also ORD is a vendor on here ORU is not:D . I have the ORD kit and the quality is top notch . The arm is machined from billet where as ORUs appears to be cast.

ORD has my vote or look at some other vendors on here like Northwest Fab or Sky manufacturing.

Ira

3. RPM

RPM Registered Member

Ok thanks Sky manufacturing was very helpfull I'm just having a hard time getting some knuckles for it, and Northwest fab has a better setup for a 700r4 to 205 adapter. How about them Electric lockers any word on them?

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The Auburn electric locker has the potential to allow one wheel to slip even when locked. When "locked" it forces clutches together to make the posi much more aggresive, and by their definition, "locked".

If I were to buy a selectable locker, it would be the Eaton E-locker first, ARB second, and Auburn last.

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

As for selectable lockers I "selected" a detroit for the rear and a welded front:D .

Ira

6. peterpan

peterpan Registered Member

i have a dana 60 up front with a brand new arb waiting to get the time to install and a 14 bolt ff rear with a detroit in the box waiting for time also my arb cost me $809.00 shipped to my door and my detroit i bought slightly used from a friend for $300.00 sorry that i can't tell ya how they work but i'm sure they will work great

i have run a rear detroit in a GMC jimmy(full size) with a 14 bolt ff and it worked extremly well with a open front

7. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I have ORD crossover and high steer on a Dana 60. Top notch parts, everything basically fell together. Great customer service, there was a shipping issue and they jumped all over getting it taken care of. Awesome place to do business with.

8. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

ECTED's

I am running ECTED's in the front and rear of my blazer. I started my blazer build over 10 years ago befeore there was so many parts and info regarding 60's and 14's. I am running a 350 crate/ built 700r4/ 4.56 cryoed gears and alloy shafts on my 10 bolts. When I went from 35's to 37's I wanted something selectable that was a limited slip when off. One of the reasons I chose the ECTED's is because you can use a pulse width modulator on them. So you can vary the volts and thus the pressure applied to the cluch packs. I dont vary the volts often but when I do it is to save the drivetrain from a little extra abuse. I have a guage set up to monitor the volts going to the lockers.
    I am a very methodical driver and rarely lift a tire anyway so I dont use the lockers much but they are nice to have when you need them. I have taken this rig to many CA trails over the last 10 years including, Rubicon, Hollister, Dusy Ersham, Fordyce, Swamp Lake and many more. I have only broken 2 originial spicer ujoints(one stub whent with the ujoint) on these 10 bolts so far and dont understand why they have such a bad rap. I just got a winch this year and have never realy needed one for me and have not used it yet. I think they have held up due to good maintaince/sythetic fluids and minimal stupid pedal. I have also lightened the rig and it only weighs about 5000 loaded to the hilt.
    I sure have gotten a lot of looks over the years with a fullsize on the trail with 10 bolts.