Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lockers? Which ones?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Feb 17, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, Im new to the 4x4 world and haven't yet boughten and lockers. So here it goes: Whats the difference between a limited slip and a locker? And also I have 14b rear and D60 front, What lockers should I put in. Ill have around 35-38" tires from interco. If you could give me a few examples and tell me why you chose that one would be great. I will be driving this most day's on-road too. But it takes abuse off-road so I need something good. Front and rear. Thanks!
    Steve /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For the rear, Detroit Locker !!! The Detroit Locker is one of they best you can get in my opinion, and fairly cheap. Front, I would want a ARB air locker to make steering easier. Can be hard with a front locker from what I hear. I can't say for sure sence I've never had a locker up front.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What kind of detroit locker? I was looking at 4wheel parts and theres like 3 or 4 different ones? help! And Do I need to buy the ARB air compressor to work the air locker? Or what??/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Paul is right, I just went from a Detroited D44 to an open D60, the D44 was a pain to turn in 4WD, I am going with an ARB when I get the $$$$

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There is only one Detroit locker. The others are either not lockers or are some variant like the EZ locker. The real detroit is what you'll want for the rear.

The front you have so many options its insane, the popular ones being a lock-right, detroit, and ARB.

A limited slip uses clutches to TRY to transfer SOME power over to the other side if you're spinning. A locker will mechanically lock the axle shafts together when there is nearly any input torque.

If you need to ask what the difference is, you probably don't need a front locker yet. A locker installed in the rear will probably be a serious improvement in performance. Once you decide that you need a front locker, you can open that can of worms. Just do the rear for now.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

detroit front and rear. works for me,

j

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif