Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lockers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lotsa_Faith, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

OK im just a little bit comfused on what all the lockers out there are capable of. which lockers can you switch in and out? which are always locked? and are the automatic lockers any good?

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

The ARB is a swichable locker, meaning it uses compressed air to engage the locker when needed. The OX locker is also a switchable locker but is cable operated.(like a manual choke). Ive heard bad stuff about the ARB, try checking some old posts on this locker. Doesnt sound too reliable to me. Especially for the price!

3. InSearchofAk5

InSearchofAk5 Registered Member

A spool locks together your wheels permanantely therefore allowing no differentiating between your two wheel causing handling problems and excessive tire wear and chirping when you turn. Selectable lockers can be bought from ARB wich uses compressed air to engage the locker. It is "the king of the road" since its just like a normal open differntial on the street but when engaged it will acted just like a spool does offroad. Since the ARB is so complicated w/ many parts there is alot of maintenece involved like changing gear oil, etc. Since its using compressed air an O-ring can blow out or any little component can wear out. Next is the automatic locker wich engages under torque ie. when you give it some gas by pressing the accelerator. Wha'ts good is that it wont wear out your tires as much as a spool as long as you get off the gas when you turn. The auto locker doesnt require as much maintanence as the ARB and doenst cost nearly as much plus it costs only a bitmore than a POSITRAC aka limited slip wich transfer torque to both wheels if one is slipping (to an extent) so you will not have the best results with posi/limitedslip (wich is the same thign).
    Go with the spool if all you are using your truck for is offroad but if you see anymore than a little bit of pavement driving expect to cahnge your tires twice as often. Auto locker would be best for a daily driver and weekend warrior truck and ARB if you are a rich bastard who doesnt mind having a high maintanence piece of eqipment.

4. Lotsa_Faith

does anyone have any more info on this OK locker? i was pretty sure there was a selectable locker that didnt use an air compressor, but couldnt find one. this sounds alot cheaper than an ARB. anyone have one? are they reliable?

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

There was an article in 4wor a month or 2 ago. Ill try to find article tomorrow.

6. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I meant to tell ya that it was only availible for one axle as of the publication of the magazine(I believe it was the 14 bolt) but was suppose to have some more out pretty quick

7. Lotsa_Faith

well its gonna be at LEAST a month before i can convince my 'rents to chip in so i can get a truck, but after i get it ill wait till they make one for the DANA 60.

8. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

The article about the OX locker was in the july 2001 edition of 4WOR. It has the 2x4 to4x4 conveted Ford on the cover.

9. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

As I recall, the OX Locker isn't available for the 14 bolt or any GM axle for that matter!

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The OX sure as hell wasn't cheap either. Get a Detroit or weld it up and be done with it.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

11. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Sorry, it had been awhile since I read about it.

12. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

That OX locker is gonna be as expensive or more expensive than the ARB! It's not cheap gentlemen. And I have the ARB is front and have never had any problems with it. You know, everyone's got an opinion, and I am not on a mission to promote ARB or anything, but they are a great locker! And I know many people that run them and have no problems either. In fact, over the last two months in our club, there have been three broken Detroits and no broken ARBs!! And I think Detroits are great too - I have one in the rear, but wouldn't put one in the front!

Anyway, just my .02