Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lockers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by snowtoy, Aug 23, 2001.

1. snowtoy

snowtoy Registered Member

I want to install a Truetrac limited slip in front and some kind of locker in rear but how will a automatic locker be on the highway? or on slipperi road conditions? sure I want ARB but it's way to expensive. Thanks

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Detroit Locker

Reliability, proven performer. On-road manners are a bit quirky AT FIRST but after a couple of weeks of driving it you'll never notice it.

ARB's are too spendy for something that I read about constantly having issues.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have heard that a locker like a Detroit in the rear is quite dangerous (or can be) on ice. Being from Norway, you might need to consider this. I am installing one in mine tomorrow, but we don't get too much ice here in Dallas!

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>
    Who put a stop payment on my reality check?!?

4. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

True That!!!! i would like to have snow more here in dallas.

Mike Dee

5. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

Ice And Lockers Just Dont Work. Glad I See Ice Only Every Couple Of Years.Then Only For A Couple Of Days.

A Big Hammer Can Fix Anything ..

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    I am a big fan of Eaton's, no not the Gov-Lok, the new four spring design, with Carbon Fiber clutch pack.
    They are in the $350.00 each/front/rear, IMHO the best possi currently avaible.
    Good luck

7. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

think about swapping your idea around, and put the locker in the front
    and the slip in the rear, that way you will maintain normal driving until you need the front
    to pull, i put a lock right in my front, and until you lock hubs it is not even there, but when locked they will PULL, only draw back is when hard on the gas it does like to go straight

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

True Trac suck in the front for wheelin!!!!!! My bro has one and when ya need it it is unlocked! On the street it isn't bad. He had to drive about 50 miles once in Front wheel drive down the highway and it handled nicely.

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

9. snowtoy

snowtoy Registered Member

Well thanks for the info, I have to think what to do. Maybe I have to go open and buy me a winch to use if I get stuck.

10. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I agree on putting a lock right in the front. I have the same thing, and some to a couple of buddies of mine. We all went this route because we drive them every day. You will notice a big difference in just having a locker in the front, even with nothing in the rear.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs locked front.Other cars 69 Firebird w/525 hp,and 70 GTO <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>MY vehicles</a>

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

10-4. I am runninn two open diffs and my winch helps out alot! Although I go places where locked people go. i think Emmett just trys harder! [​IMG]

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>