Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lockers??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by madups311, Nov 16, 2001.

1. madups311

madups311 Registered Member

Any suggestions on cheap lockers (front and rear) I don't need airlockers just cheap ones that do the job...

1979 Jimmy 4" skyjacker, add-a-leaf, 35" M/T's, Body Lift purchased.
    2001 Pathfinder LE Mile Marker Winch

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Stay away from the EZ locker. they tend to explode. The Lockright seems to be better design. Still not the best. Really for the rear if your planning on wheeling I would go with a Detroit. Yeah it's more expensive but it isn't going to break. The fronts hold up pretty good open. Once you lock them they like to start braking shafts and u-joints.
    If you live in the the snow belt and have to do a lot of winter driving you might want to concider a Auburn LS. It will be more forgiving on the ice.
    If you get lockers you need to carry spare shafts for sure. It's just a matter of time befor you granade one. Yoou should carry a rear shaft because if you break on off comes the wheel. Also carry gear oil and a 50cal amo box to catch the old gear oil in so you don't dump it on the ground.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I put a lock rite in the front(10 bolt) and mini spooled the rear(12 bolt). I like the mini spool in the rear versus a locker because you dont get the locker weave which would be dangerous on ice. Also nother to wear out inside and very easy to install. Also the mini spool for a 10 bolt or 12 bolt are only 100 and a lock rite is around 275. So for 375 buck you will be locked front and rear!!

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

And cheaper than that is the old Lincoln Locker, welded side gears, did mine and never looked back, wheel the pee out of it and have zero problems to date, just make sure you clean out all the slag and flux before you re oil the diff, run it a week drain and refill. works the same as a spool only much cheaper, but doing so will locate weak points such as bad pinion/ring gears or u-joints.

Good Luck
    <font color=blue>Veni Sancte Spiritus
    Da Pacem Cordium
    White Knight</font color=blue>

5. madups311

madups311 Registered Member

Aren't there manual lockers so they can be off when driving around corners in the snow?

1979 Jimmy 4" skyjacker, add-a-leaf, 35" M/T's, Body Lift purchased.
    2001 Pathfinder LE Mile Marker Winch

6. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

Yep, ARB lockers but get ready to spend some $$$

79' K5 Body Hurting But Runs Great!!

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

ARB is the only one that I am aware of. I'm afraid of them. I have seen many fall apart. yes fall apart. For some reason they like having all the bolts back out even when the bolts are Loctite. Suposidly ARB has addressed this by putting a new locking tab onthe bolts and putting in a dowel but not conviced. They can also spit out the o-rings that make them seal. You also have to notch the carrier bearing straps and I would be concerned of them cracking.
    Your talking a easy $800 with compressor and the ARB. I have seen plenty of the solonoids bite it too on the compressors.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

8. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Try Ox Locker, its controled by a cable !