Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lockers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4blazer, Jul 9, 2000.

1. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

I am thinkin about putting lockers front and rear on my '84.
    All i'mrunning now are corporate 10 bolt on the front and 12 bolt on the rear. Are lockers a good idea for a daily driver? Are they always locked? Sorry if these are stupid
    questions but I dont know the first thing about lockers.
    Any info will be apriciated.

4x4blazer

2. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Would depend a whole lot on which locker you purchased, on daily beaters they have a habit of chirping tires, sudden lane changes...it basically elimantes the differation(sp) on the axle making both wheels turn. There are locker that still allow for that differation at the tires, then lock up when needed. Or you can go all out and spool the back and lock the front......and hang on <font color=red>yippe-yo-ki-ayyyyyyy!!!!</font color=red>[​IMG]

<font color=blue>White Knight</font color=blue>[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

If you use it as a daily driver and dont do alot of MAJOR offroading you should consider a lockrite or an EZ locker. They replace the spider gears in the open carrier meaning you can do the install your self and save some money. They are reasonable price wise, and will work like a "Detroit" type locker for the most part.
    Good Luck
    Brent

4. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

Looking for lockers as well.
    Do mostly sand and mud, no rock-crawling available over here.
    Lots of street as well.

Don't like the limited slip or auto locks, think I will go for ARBs air lockers front/rear (maybe only rear... $$$)

Balou
    "Size DOES matter!!!", said the girl last night.
    http://www.balou.coloradok5.com

5. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I have a Detroit Sof locker in my 14 bolt in the rear. I rarely notice it except if a stomp on it around a corner or when i switch into reverse and stomp on it. It is great in the mud and sand and every where else. I have a eaton posi in the front, it works great too. I decided on a posi in the front because i was advised against a locker because it will decrease your steering. My posi engages within 1/2 turn so i think my set up is pretty good. Just my experience. - Doug

Doug Krebs

6. windrider

windrider Registered Member

I have a Detroit and I love it....Just make sure the tires are the same size or it will pull to one side or the other.
    It does squeal a little on the corner from a stop if you gas it, but is not to noticeable on the highway.

7. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

if you use the truck on the street alot, only use a locker in the front if you have manual hubs, other wise use a posi.

i would like to hear opinions of the new powertrax no-slip.

Knife.

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

9. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i read the same article. i am interested for both the front and rear. most of my driving is on loose soil (sand, and desert driving ...not racing). therefore, i am not worried about the strength of the carrier (it is strong enough for what i need). i am concerned about the street characteristics.

Knife.

10. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

I have the Powertrax lockers front and rear in my 87 with the 10 bolt front and 12 bolt rear. You will chirp the tires starting from a stop and taking a corner at the same time. Getting on and off the gas at speeds will make the truck "sway" for a second due to the wheels being locked. I live in MA and using 4WD in the snow on public roads with lockers front and rear are downright dangerous and I almost have to go slower than non 4WD trucks. With all four wheels locked they literally drive you off the road even on a straightaway. The truck just slides to the side. Corners are worse. I even though about taking the front locker out for the winter. Off road they are great in sand and mud. A gotta have item. If you do trails you may find that you can't take the same corners you used to. Even though the front is locked the rear wants to push you straight so you can't turn as tight. Despite the downsides I would never give them up but they do require different driving techniques in most areas of driving. My truck is a daily driver and the on street characteristics are different but not that bad. I do much more street than off road and its all worth it.

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

11. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Lockers are always locked, they let one side unlock when you go around a turn, and then it locks back in. In the front if you have full time 4x4 I would not reccomend it unless you convert it to part time. With the hubs unlocked and in 2wd, you will not notice the front one at all.

I use mine in my daily driver, it kinda depends on what kind of wheeling you are going to do. If you are not going to do any serious off-roading then I would steer you toward a limited slip of some kind. The lockers have some small quirks that you have to get used to while driving. In a curve they tend to push, you have to use more steering wheel input to go around the curve than you used to. They also bang and jerk a little when the come back together after a sharp turn sometimes. Once you learn the quirks, driving with them is no problem and you soon forget about them, well at least till it bangs again.

Also the shorter the wheelbase of a rig the worse those quirks are on the street. My K-5 is very well behaved when the locker re enguages after a turn, but my buds Jeep jerks to the left pretty good when his does.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

12. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

Well put. I'll add that as far as reliability I have about 50k on the current setup with no problems.

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

13. kermit

kermit Registered Member

I have a NoSlip in my rear Dana 60 and love it! Around town I can't tell it's there at all......no clunks, no tire slip in corners, no torque steer, nuthin. The only time it does show itself is when I get off the gas and then back on it while I'm changing directions at freeway speeds -- onramps and offramps in particular. Even then the torque steer is easily controllable and much less noticable than the torque steer associated with a powerful front wheel drive car.

On the trail it makes an unbelievable amount of difference. In the dirt it stays locked up solid and almost acts like a spool. On pavement the locker slips enough that the inside tire never chirps, but on a loose surface the locker never disengages and the inside tire scrubs. To me this isn't a problem, but I live in Phoenix and don't have to drive on snow and ice. If I had to drive it on an icy street it would be a death trap.

Driving characteristics with a locker depend greatly on the overall vehicle setup and on your driving style. In a big, heavy vehicle with an automatic tranny and an easy driving style (if you want to drive a hot rod get one.....don't try to drive a truck like a corvette) you'll never notice it's there -- until it snows, then it's YEEEEE-HAWWWW.

Len

half Chevy + half Jeep = Cheep!