Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lockers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by J.C.Staley, Mar 21, 2002.

1. J.C.Staley

J.C.Staley Registered Member

It looks like this summer I'll be changing my gearing to 373s. It was suggested that that would be the perfect time to install lockers. What would you do or have you done concerning lockers? Front and rear or just one or the other? Full time or controllable (air)? Let me know your experience, I'd appreciate the info.
    Thanks

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Alot of people don't like them but I just bought a Lock Right and put it in the back of my blazer. It was a snap. I love the way it works. It makes a little bit of noise when your turning slowly but I thinks its just to remind me it's back there. It's fairly inexpensive compared to the ARB, Detroit, and the Eaton electric lockers and it works really well. It less than $300 compared to $600-700 for the others.

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

They work great for most stuff... Didn't work too well in the white stuff, I guess it is too cold for 'em. I double-checked my lines after I got home and they worked fine, and have ever since getting out of the snow... weird.

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hi John! Just put a Detroit Tru Trak in the rear (limited slip) and upgraded my gearing from 3.08s to 4.10s. My understanding is that it's better for snow than just an open diff. But didn't want front lockers as they aren't good for snow conditions(as it was explained to me).

BTW, may be out your way sometime this summer for a few days, looking at property. Sorry I missed you the last trip!

5. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yes, if you are going to be regearing and want to install lockers, that is the perfect time when everything is out! Personally, I have the Detroit in the rear and the ARB in the front. The Detroit is great in everything but hard packed snow on sidehills (it's scary there, cause it will not want to go straight, it will keep sidestepping toward the downhill). The ARB is the best front locker in my opinion, since you can use it when you want...you have total control over it! If you need to make a turn on the trail, or are in terrain that just doesn't require you to be locked up, simply push the button and disengage it...come to a harder spot, push the button and you are ready to rock again! It saves your front end from constantly being locked up and also lets you turn better. It's well worth the money in my opinion...

The first thing you need to do is decide if you really need lockers, and what kind of driving you will mostly be doing! Be honest with yourself, so that you don't spend money for nothing! If you plan on getting into wheeling and having fun down the road, now might be the time to do it "right the first time"! I know, because right after I got the Blazer, my Gov Lock blew up and I went the easy route, put in an Auburn, and I hated it! I just got done building a D60 for mine, and I saved up and spent the money on another ARB, cause I knew it was worth it! Sorry for the rambling, just giving you my .02 (well, maybe .04 or something!) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

why 3.73? i have em and i'm swapping to 4.56s this year (hopefully)

7. 73BlazerT

73BlazerT Registered Member

What would be the best gear ratio for 35's with a 12 bolt rear? Do I need a locker in the rear if I have positraction? Now I have 3.08's and that just won't do on the trails.

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am going to run 4.56's with 35's one day. The 4/56's are going in this summer with 32's, but I have overdrive so I can live with it. If the truck is a daily driver, sees interstate driveing, then 4.10's might be the way to go with 35's since you don't have OD.

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would go w/ 4.10's with your tranny and tires (if you had a OD tranny I would say go w/ 4.56 or 4.88) if you do mostly street and trail driving. If you need gas milage on the hwy go w/ the 3.73's. I have 3.73's right now and am swapping to 4.56. I will have to drive slower on the hwy but it will have the power and control I need offroad. I would not put a locker (of any type) in a 1/2 ton (or 3/4 ton) axle. If you think you really need it put a limited slip in the front. If you don't have to worry about snow and don't mind the noise/funny handeling of a locker put a Detroit in the rear.

10. ca89blazer

ca89blazer Registered Member

I just put the 4.88's under my blazer with 35's and love it. My blazer is a daly driver but I do have an over drive.

11. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

What axles are you running now? I would not put that kind of money into 1/2 ton axles, unless you are doing it yourself. I got a used front end and rear end with matching gears, front with a Trac Lok, rear is open(but is a 14ff so a detroit can be easily added and only cost $325ish) all for less than re-gearing just the front end with open carrier-$400 vs $600.
    A while back I put $1500 into a 12bolt, what a waste of $$$. I assume you are running 1/2 ton if you are thinking of upgrading to 3.73's.

12. J.C.Staley

Hi Pam. Thanks for the info. Give us a call when you get to town. Things will probably be a little less hectic this summer.

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Will do John!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

lockers are fine in the snow, or any other low traction condition, much better then open and not moving.
    I didnt notice a huge sidehilling problem, when open it would side slip.
    with all 4 locked it will go far beyond where an open diffed truck will.

15. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

4.10 at least in my opinion
    i have 3.73 with 33''s and i want them to be 4.10.
    mild 350/th350 and 203. might be different once i put the part time case in. i am sure it will in fact. but we wont know for a while
    i would recomend at least 4.10 for 35''s
    marv springer runs 3.73 with 35's. you could ask him how he likes it. i know he has the doubler so it is fine on the trail for him
    Grant

16. J.C.Staley

Thanks for all the input. Looks like 410s with a detroit locker in the rear and no locker in the front. Projected cost, installed is about $2200 to $2400. Maybe this summer.