Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lockers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jim82, Aug 12, 2000.

1. jim82

jim82 Registered Member

ive been thinking of getting some lockers. i do a lot of hiway/street driving tho. i know some of them can be dangerous on the street, especially while turining, are there any that let you do both? what are the differences?

2. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

The new "no-slip" made by Powertrax is a good way to go. It acts like a limited when you are on pavement or taking corners, but is basically just like a Lockright. The no-slip uses more springs to hold the gears open until power is put the locker.

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

ARB air locker has the best of both worlds but very its pricey. For the rear, I'd suggest a locker like bigdaddy talked about.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

4. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

I have lockright's front and rear. Driving characteristics are a little different as to how the truck handles especially with a lift and larger tires. If you live in a snowy climate you may want to pull out the front locker for the winter. Four wheel drive with lockers front and rear on twisty snowy public roads make for some interesting driving. They are terrible with just a little snow but get much better the deeper the snow if that makes any sense. They are great off road but if you go through trails in the woods you will notice less of a turning radius. Even though the front tires will pull you the rear locker wants to push you straight. I am very happy however and would never give them up. I am dying to put them to good use since a few days ago I finally got my 35 inch Goodyear Wrangler MTR's installed

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

5. hey 87Blzr,I saw a few people runing the mt/r this weekend.
    They looked like they were doing pretty good.Do you like yours?One of the broncos at the badlands had some MT/R's,the
    only thing I didnt like about them was they just didnt seem to hook up as good as my swampers,there probably a lot nicer on the road though.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

6. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

I only have a couple hundred miles on them so far with no off road. Probably go real soon as its been pretty damp lately in the northeast, I'm in MA. Before these I had the previous MT's for years. I can say the new MT/R's are alot quieter on the street. Alot. Maybe because they are new, I don't know. I know they don't spin as easily on my concrete garage floor, don't ask. Hopefully I can still get into the pit where I go, they keep putting huge rocks up to keep the dirt bikers out. They don't seem to care too much about the trucks though. Dying to try them. Hopefully soon. I did notice that the extra rubber from molding the tires hasn't worn off yet. If the whole tire wears this good its a good sign as far as tread life. These are aggressive but not like the swampers. Two identical trucks I don't know if I would want to go against the swampers. MT/R's have a nice sidewall and might be better over rocks compared to mud or sand. I plan on trying all three hopefully with good results

7. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Saw that you had a set of the old Goodyear MT's. I can get myself into a set of them pretty cheap as they are trying to clear them out. Wondering what your impressions were of them offroad, onroad, and the tire wear? Thanks.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

8. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I have a Detroit rear and I love it. I haven't noticed any difference between having the locker and the open diffs at all. Cornering is a little easier, as the truck oversteers now, but I have found that to be a good thing. I am waiting for my first experience on slick roads (not)[​IMG], but that is in the future!

Oh, the truck now climbs like crazy. Exponential difference offroad, well worth the money.

[​IMG]

9. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

As far as the old MT I went through three sets. Its all I used for years. One set of 33's then two sets of 35's. On road they rode good but were pretty loud. People walking down the street used to turn around to see what was coming before I passed them. Wasn't a good feature when you live in a area with lots of cops and the truck is higher than it should be, per the law anyway. Attracts attention. I usually got about 35 to 40k miles per set I think. Off road they were great through mud and sand with the directional tread pattern. The biggest flaw would probably be the sidewall. I don't do much rock climbing but the sidewall doesn't look like it could take rock bashing. Overall I was happy with them to the point I wrote Goodyear a letter asking them why they changed a good thing. Now that I have the new MT/R's I am more happy with them. Quieter, much better sidewall and aggresive tread. If you can get a deal they are worth it, maybe less so if you do lots of rock climbing