Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lockers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zigblazer, Dec 5, 2000.

1. Zigblazer

Zigblazer Newbie

I am fixing up a '73 Chevy Pickup with parts from my '78 Blazer. The Blazer was dead. It will have a 4" lift and 33" tires when I am done. I will be doing a lot of off roadin' in Wyoming, in the snow. I would like to know if I should put in lockers in the axles or a true trac sort of thing, or posi, or what would be the best thing to do so I don't get stuck out there, and so I will also be able to drive regualrily? Please let me know. Thank You.

ZiG

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I would go mini spool or Detroit in the rear and either a True trac or ARB up front since you will be driving it on the street.

Plus, it would help alot to have a winch!

HTH! :)

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

what i am doing is when my posi go's out i am putting a detroit in back and soon i will be putting an arb up front i like the arb's because you can turn it off 4 street use and on 4 off road

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

4. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

Both of my vehicles are locked front and rear. They both have manual hubs. When I drive on the street the hubs are disengaged and you can't tell that I have a locked front axle. There are 5 reasons to get an ARB for the front axle:
    You want to turn sharper while in 4wd offroad.
    You drive on ice in 4wd and you want to keep control of your vehicle.
    You don't have manual hubs and you want to be able to turn while on road.
    Your arms are weak and you can't turn the steering wheel while locked up in 4wd.
    You like to guess whether you are really locked up in the front while your truck is sliding over to the edge of a 300' drop.
    Get a Detroit and forget about it.
    CB