Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lockers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by southernspeed, Jan 10, 2004.

1. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hi. I've got open diffs on standard axles on my '78 Jimmy. I want to put lockers front and rear. I wanted to use Powertrax Lock-right lockers as they're cheap and easy to install.
    Two questions : Are they any good? and how bad are lockers to use on pavement? I've heard they mess up the steering on pavement...true??. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    I've got a350/350/203 set up. I have got free wheeling hubs, or locking hubs if you prefer! But haven't altered the trnsfer case at all.
    Any advice/opinions greatfully accepted! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would toss one in the back and do a part time conversion on the 203. I guess you could put it in 4lock and unlock the front hubs to drive it on the street but that just doesn't sound right to me. Personally I will never lock up my D44 front. That is just asking to break stuff. You would be supprised at what you can do with just one locker.

3. southernspeed

Is anyone using Powertrax lockers? Any good? And is the standard carrier up to the job? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A bunch of people are. I have LockRights in both my ten bolts. I think everyone by not replying is insinuating maybe you should do a search.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't worry about lockers right now... I would worry about doing something with that fulltime 203 and getting 3/4ton running gear. You will destroy a D44 or 10b front if you put a locker in the front and wheel it with tires bigger than stock. I would leave the front open.

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think 35s would be pushing it but so far I haven't broken anything with 33s. It isn't for a lack of trying either.

I think is what makes axle shafts survive so much better is that you don't have a tire spinning wildly and then stopping. Yes, it's true, you can have 100% of the torque coming out of whichever end of the transfer case going to one tire but I don't think that's as much of a problem.

Here are some pictures when I was trying to get my truck to flex after installing my lift and lockers. There wasn't a whole lot of work done by other tires since they're on sand. The log started out parallel with the shoreline.
    here

I did eventually get both tires up on the log (jockied the truck straight on instead of an angle) but was too chicken to rely on the parking pawl to keep the truck from rolling off. It'd suck to get hung uo on the frame behind the tires. I couldn't hit the log straight on because the towhooks and bumper would hit the log before the tires.
    here

Here's the one time I did try straight on (rolled the log until the tires hit the log since it's a square log), eventually the tires did bite and start to pull the truck up on but one tire let loose as the log started to kick out and I figured I'd better quit before something broke.
    here

7. southernspeed

That's interesting. I know a lot of people don't 'like' the 203 but I didn't know they were weak. I've found them great for driving in snow. I've got a 205 in the yard. Would you rate them higher than a 203? What breaks on the 203?

8. southernspeed

See what you mean about doing a search! Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Is anyone using Powertrax lockers? Any good? And is the standard carrier up to the job? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one in my DD, in a 7.5" Ford, with no issues after 20,000 miles!

I would consider locking the front of a 1/2 or 3/4 ton rig if I never intended on going larger than 35s.

Keep in mind if this is a D44 front you're going to probably have to pull the carrier out to get the lockright in anyway, and remove the ring gear from the carrier. The D44 is much tighter in there than the 10 bolt in that respect, maybe someone with a locked D44 can help you further, as I've only worked on friend's rigs with D44s, never actually owned one.

I intend on putting a Lock-Right in my D60. I was going to do a power-loc, but I'm going to try the Lock-Right for a while.