Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locking a post is....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zeus33rd, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Gay.

Censorship is gay.

That is all.

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I concur.

3. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

Twice, three times, now it is official:D .

4. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

superbowl-gay
    oragne juice-gay

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Damn, I wish I had the power to lock this post just for the irony:D

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Whining about locked threads is gay...

Starting new threads complaining about the rules is gay...

Trolling and baiting the moderators is gay...

Having to lock threads is gay...

rene

7. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Ben is gay.

{BC942BF7-B86F-45EF-97D4-DBBCAFC1D56D}.jpg

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Using the inept slnag of a thirteen year old is... uncouth

9. Zeus33rd

Whining? Pleease. Being overly conservitive and anal about the "rules" is gay. We are not kids that need babysitting. I would agree that there could be a situation where it may be necessary, but 99% of the time, in my opinion, it's carried waay to far on this website.

Rules? What rules say that we need babysitting? What guidlines do moderators go by when deciding what threads need to be locked? Is there a "Moderators Guide To Locking Threads" section of the "rules"? I don't think so, so most of the time it's up to the moderators discretion when and where to lock a thread. It is my opinion that some of the moderators are waaay too conservitive and jump the gun when it comes to locking threads. Let people be people without censorship.

Trolling and baiting? Give me a break Rene. I'm not 5 years old that I feel the need to do such things. If stating my opininon is "trolling and baiting", then wtf? Is this website a dictatorship where everyone has to ask a mods permission before they post an opinion that may go "against the grain"? You can say, "Well, this is Steves website, he can do whatever he wants"...And thats very true... However, if we're gonna stick with these kinda principles, then count me out. Over the past few months this place has gotten sooo damn pussy-fied and scared of "politically incorrectness" that it's rediculous. A majority of the threads I read just make me shake my head and wonder wtf happened. It's like some of you guys have your wives or mothers lookin over your shoulders when you post or make a reply to a post. :crazy:

10. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

what thread was locked?

11. tRustyK5

Joe,

I should have added a line to my original reply clarifying that it wasn't directed at you or this thread. Your thread was just a convenient place to make my observations in what i hoped was a mildly humerous way. FWIW I haven't done any moderating in this forum for longer than I can remember.

My reply was a general observation of some of the crap going on lately in general.

In broad terms I'd only lock something if it's degenrated into a war between members. "No personal attacks" has always been the determining guide. That rule gets bent farther in here than anywhere else and that's up to Paul IMO.

Anything that's been locked, edited or sh!tcanned lately hasn't been Paul and hasn't been me either...

No matter what we do not everybody will be happy. All I can try to do is be consistant and unbiased.

Rene

12. tRustyK5

I wish that was true (again, in general)

Rene

13. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Wow. I take a weekend off, enjoy some time with the kids, do a little icefishing, and the first post I see when I come back is this one. What a nice welcome back.

And from a guy I consider a friend, to boot........

FWIW, you're 100% correct. Locking posts IS gay. Too bad some people around here can't maintain a certain level of maturity and general decency when they discuss "hot topics". If they could, I would never HAVE to lock a post.

Censorship? Maybe. Necessary evil? Yes.

Deal with it.

14. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

everyone can find something gay... not everyone will agree its gay. thats gay. ignore it and go on, thats not gay

15. Zeus33rd

Would something like this cause you to doubt our friendship? I would certainly hope not.

16. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Nope. Not at all. But generally buddies don't discredit eachother in public, especially at a time when one of them is under the gun, so to speak.

Sure, they'll bitch back and forth at eachother in private and even take potshots at eachother in front of everyone, but hopefully, when things get tough, they'll support eachother.

If someone was on your back, brother, I'd be pulling them off. I wouldn't be giving the dude a hand tugging you down....

17. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I probably shouldn't even be posting in this thread.. but I just wanted to put in a couple of cents worth real fast.

Paul, I know where you're coming from in the statement,
    But I think the door swings boths ways. As a friend, I would think you would respect Joes opinion, just as much. Sometimes a friends opinion may sting a bit... but I'd rather taste the sting of truth, than have them feel like they need to lie or be silent. He feels, how he feels.

To be honest, I think theres a bit of truth in his post about things getting locked down a bit fast. I don't loose any sleep over it.. but it is something I have noticed. I know there is a need for moderators, .. and I know often a mod thinks that a thread needs locking "before" it gets bad.. but I guess I would have to wonder who needs this level of protection? I say, if it gets bad.. delete the "bad" post, and then lock it. But to assume it's going to go bad, seems a bit much.

When I cross the street with my children, I hold thier hands because at their age they need the guidance of someone responsible. I don't do the same thing when I cross the street with my adult friends. Perhaps to some here, it seems that is what the mods are doing...

But, we also can't have people running "willy nilly" around the forums posting whatever they want, cause sooner or later it would get blatantly out of hand. So, I know it's a fine line to walk, but when someone takes on the responsability of a mod, that come with it.

Like I said at the start, I probably should not even be posting this. I myself have a habit of snapping back if snapped at, so I don't have a lot of room to talk. I just thought since I'm pretty much removed from this (having not posted in any of the treads leading up to this point) I'd post my view as someone not standing in anyones crosshairs. (until now :doah: )
    I hope no one takes this as a personal attack or critisism .. just an observation, one that may help to make our visits here a little better... or maybe at least a start, since I certainly don't think my "opinion" is the saving grase here.. :wink1:

18. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Know what? I read all this stepped away and came back after thinking a little on it. Kidjethro(Joe) most of your posts come across as kinda kirt and being a little short with people (you've even done it to me, not that I really care, I just chalked it up to you being ,well , you.)

but you are right , people do need to lighten up a bit, plus grow a little thicker skin. I can't really say what happenend the other night, I was not here then but I read some of that crap and I didn't really see a problem, but someone obviously took offense.

so maybe the thing(s) that need to happen is
    1. kid you need to lighten up a bit.
    2. everybody else needs to thicken their skin a bit.

what a bunch of crap this turned into!

19. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I'm begining to think this whole board needs some

[​IMG]

20. gauder

gauder Banned

A bunch of fecal matter agitators around here!:D