Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locking an eaton posi??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jtl_77, Jul 6, 2005.

1. jtl_77

jtl_77 Registered Member

Is there a way that a Eaton posi can be locked up? I have one in my 12 bolt and needing more traction. I don't want to buy a locker for the 12 bolt because I plan on getting a ff 14 bolt when I wear out my 35's and buy bigger tires. The truck is not a daily driver so no worries there.
    Just wondering if anyone has done this and if you had any problems doing so.

thanks.

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Which type of eaton "posi" do you have ???
    If it is the "S" spring type than shiming it up will most likely be your only option to gain more pre-load. If it is the multiple coil spring type than you could get creative with shims , use the newer carbon fiber clutches/frictions , and use a set of 800 lbs. pre-load springs if you have the lighter 400/600 lbs. style and do not use the GM friction modifier - it is used to make the clutches slip and save the life of the material on them but if you are planning on this as a temp fix and want more grip it should not hurt anything.
    HTH's , Tom

3. jtl_77

jtl_77 Registered Member

It is the multiple coil spring type. And I want to get it as *tight* as I can get it.
    Is there a way to weld it up to lock it up?

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Pull the Eaton and sell it, than go to the junkyard and buy a cheap open carrier and weld it up.........or just use the money from the Eaton to buy a 14FF. I pulled the Eaton posi out of my old 10-bolt and sold it for $150 which than should be more than enough to buy the 14-bolt.

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I did not know you ment lock it up as in welded .......
    I agree with what is said up above by 6.2 Blazer - sell the posi .

A word of caution about welding up half ton stuff - it does not last long and will make the next weak link known real quick .
    Tom

6. jtl_77

jtl_77 Registered Member

I thought about the pull it,sell it option. Then I would have to buy new wheels or 8to6 lug adapters, plus new 456 gears for the 14 bolt or find a 14 bolt with the right gears and still have to lock it up also.
    I am just wondering if anyone has locked up a eaton posi or if it can't or should'nt be done.