Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

locking auto locking hubs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by michael0584, Jun 14, 2005.

1. michael0584

michael0584 1/2 ton status

Jun 7, 2005
    does anybody know if there is a way to permanantly lock auto locking hubs. my blazer will never see street use so it would be okay for the hubs to be locked. i haven't torn them apart yet to see if i can find a way, just thought i'd check here first. also anybody know how well a 10 bolt axle will hold up to 33's?
  2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Jul 22, 2001
    Well you would have to get some slugs from a full time truck , usually sitting on the ground near the trucks missing rotors and hubs in junkyards .

As for 33's , an open truck 10 bolt or an open truck 10 bolt with a locker would be fine .

A Gov Loc'ed factory 10 bolt will kill itself with any size tires , mine did on 31's .
  3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Apr 21, 2003
    I believe you would be better off just buying some manual locking hubs. The auto locking hubs arent as strong as manuals, so you would be doing yourself a favor by buying some warn premiums. As for what Pually383K10 said, a front 10 bolt should hold up fine to 33's whether it is open or locked. Gov-locks are notorious for blowing up, but gm never put gov-locks in front axles. In fact, I dont even think you could put a gov-lock in a front axle if you wanted to. I wheel my front 10 bolt pretty hard with 37's and havent broken it yet. It is open and I do carry spare u-joints and shafts though.
  4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Mar 17, 2001
    Yah, i second the slugs...that is the most dependable and cheapest way to permanently lock the front hubs.

10 bolt should be fine with 33's