Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

locking brake...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by s373n_rcr, Jan 13, 2004.

1. s373n_rcr

s373n_rcr Registered Member

My 89' fullsize Jimmy has developed a severe braking problem since the cold weather and slippery roads hit a few days ago. When getting down to the last 10-15 feet of braking on slippery surfaces the right rear brake will lock up regardless of how slow I may be going. For about 4months that same right rear that locks-up also has had a 3" piece of it's leafspring missing, right on top of the overload spring. Could the broken spring be causing wear and binding that side up under a braking load? Axle taking a trek? Simple brake problem on that side? Also, when I pull away I can feel a load on the truck until I hear the same thud as it makes when it locks, then the loaded feeling disappears. Any ideas?

Cheers,
    S373N /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

89'GMC Jimmy,350TBI,SM465,33x12.50

2. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I would pull the drum and check the axle seal. Sounds like it could be oil on the shoes.

3. s373n_rcr

Also, heavy grinding trying to get into reverse, 1rst and 2nd difficult to get into at times and sometimes truck doesn't jump but, creeps a little forward when I start it with clutch in (I park it in 1rst instead of E-braking it)...I'm going to try a clutch cable adjustment and draining and refilling with that good Lucas gear oil, see if that helps. The truck is making all the wrong noises and doing all the wrong things right now.

Cheers... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If thats a stock 465, don't expect to find much cable adjustment, it's hydraulic. Perhaps your hydraulic system is failing, thus not full disengaging from the engine when you depress the pedal.

5. s373n_rcr

thank you for pointing that out. oversight. used to the cables in my stable.