Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

locking diffs in colorado

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dorucol, Jul 21, 2004.

1. dorucol

dorucol Registered Member

I moved to Colorado recently, living in the mountains about 8800 ft elevation. Do I need lockers in one or both axles for winter? Also, I have a crate 350 in my Blazer, not much power at these altitudes. Do I need more cam, or lower gears. The ratios now are 3.73, with an od trans and 33 in tires. Thanks for any help.

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I run a locker in the rear for snow. Works great! I leave the front diff open so it steers better.
    Try advancing your timing for a little more power. The rule of thumb is 1* advance over base timing for every 2000 ft of elevation over sea level. A good low end cam, intake, headers/exhaust will definatly help.
    Do you have TBI or Carb? It makes a difference in tuning/ jetting.

3. dorucol

dorucol Registered Member

Thanks for your reply, I have a non-electronic q-jet that I rejetted 2 sizes smaller, .072 down to .070., and advanced timing, runs better, but still weak.