Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locking dilemma

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Paxx, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Ok I have a d44/14bff with 4.10's both open carriers. Now I know my future has a d60/14bff w/5.13's and detroits f/r in it. I really don't know how long it will take to get the 1 ton and gears etc.

I really want to lock my truck up now at least in the rear but I am aware that if you buy a detroit, there is one version for 4.10 and down and a different one for 4.56 and up. What should I do? I would just weld the front end but it would most likely break way to soon, and I don't want to buy two detroits for the rear. I have some buddies who are locked though and I don't want to be left behind. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Detroit is the same for all 14 bolt full floaters.

Thick gears are far more common anyway so you'll probably stick with the 4.10 and down carrier when you go to 5.13s anyway. (If you're smart you'll stick with the 4.10 down carrier and use the thick 5.13s, they're FAR easier to come by)

3. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif So your saying I can buy my detroit now and it will still work when I go to 5.13's /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Sweet, for once I am glad to be wrong /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yep, he is right. Buy the detroit now for the rear. I am running 4.56's in a 4.10 carrier. Just need the "thick gears" for the gear change.

As for the front buy a lockright and just drop it in. Then when you sell the axle after you get the D60 it will be worth more and you will make some of your money back and still have a front locker now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Harley

5. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

what do you guys think of the lockright in the d44 with 36 Iroks? is that too much tire for a locked, stock 44?

6. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Oh and how about the strength difference between thick gears and thin gears? It seems the thick would be stronger as well?

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It would be hard to break a 14bff R&P. They are beef. As for thick stronger then thin. Shouldn't be a big difference if any. All the force is being applied to the gear teeth and that is what will fail. The R&P itself won't snap so I don't think that it matters.

R&P's to get weaker as the gear ratio gets higher though.

As for a locked D44 front with 36" Iroks. You are going to break things. That is the bottom line. Carry spare everything. I run 35" MTR's on a locked 10 bolt. I carry spare axles with new ujoints installed, spindle, wheel bearings, races, hub, and soon I will probably get a set of stock spiders incase the locker goes out.

As long as you have a decent driving style and don't lead foot everything then it can probably work as long as you are prepared. If you are an aggressive driver and like the gas pedal invest in spare parts or a D60.

Harley

8. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

yeah I wasn't overly concerned about breaking the r&p in the 14bff, more just curious. As for the front end I think I will leave it open. I would rather spend as little as possible on the d44 and spare parts, the locker, etc. all add up. Thnx for the input /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif