Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

locking front D44

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by proyouring71nova, Sep 25, 2002.

1. proyouring71nova

proyouring71nova Registered Member

I now have my D44 3/4 front end, but I was wondering if I needed to put a locker, limited slip, Etc...... (it's open now) I have a locker in my eaton now and was wondering what I should do about the front? I use my truck on and off road about 50/50. thanks max /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I'd leave it open. I think you would just be more likely to brake stuff with it locked. My truck runs great with the welded rear and open front. If you want better performance I would start with some suspension mods for more flex. If you do deside you need something in there I'd put in a lock right. They are cheep, easy to install, and if you start to break parts easy to take out and sell to some jeep guy. I also think you would be disapointed with just a limited slip (and no one makes a drop in one that I know of).

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I use a Dana Power-Lock (pre-loaded posi) in the front of mine. So far it has woked great.

4. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

I've seen the Trac-Loks run about 209 for a D44. How much are the power locks?

Evan

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

PowerLocks are not cheep, the one I just put in my front last winter was around 480 I think. Still a few hundered bucks cheeper than ARB. If that helps the price? Good traction cost$$, unless you do a licoln locker(welded spider gears).
    For a posi I think the powerlock is the best.
    my .02c

6. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

Yaa. De power-lok is the posi for the front of a dual purpose machine. The neat thing about the power-lok is that the spiders compress the clutch pack more and more with added power. So the effect is that they slip less than track-lok but they still slip when it's needed...

While a detroit is the best locker available (other than electro/mechanical lockers) it makes it too hard to steer under power. But the rock crawlers will tell you that the only traction aid is a detriot because the power-lok will slip right when you dont want it to. This is one reason why rock crawlers run hydraulic ram assist on the steering. Gotta have lots of power to turn on the the rocks fully locked..

7. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I would go with a lockright. I think that it would be stronger than your axles and Ujoints, so no strength problems there. Another slightly more expensive option is the Detroit Truetrac, a powerful limited slip. The plus is that the Truetrac might be easier on your axles.

8. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

yeah the lokrite is a cheep alternative but I hear the steering problems exist just like a detroit. I guess it all boils down to what you want to do, eh.

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

does anyone know what kind of locker uses the same carrier already in the axle.i dont want to try and change carriers for the locker for money issues.if i can just put it into the original carrier it will be alot easier also because i can leave it in there while i change the internals of the carrier

10. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Here's the thing about automatic lockers: When installed in a front axle, you will not notice any difference in steering until power is applied to the axle. I run a lockright in my D60 front. When I hit dirt, I lock the hubs. You'd never know the locker was there until I lock the Tcase into 4wd and torque is applied to the front axle. Even then, sometimes I can feel it unlock and allow one tire to run faster than the ring gear speed. With a welded (or spooled) diff or a limited slip, any time the hubs are locked, it will be difficult to steer. A lockright, Detroit locker, or any other automatic locking differential will all have VERY similar handling/steering characteristics.

11. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

Unless I have heard wrong, the LockRight will fit in your current carrier. I want to say the LR model is 2410. You can look it up at Lock Right Web site You can pick that LR up on ebay used quite often for $100-$150! New is $275ish most places.

LockRight is being sold off to TrueTrac and supply of LockRights is low right now. Could effect future prices too!

Sam

12. chulisohombre

do you know if the lockright or noslip is better.both use the stock carrier with removing the spider gears

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The lock-right is better from what I have heard.

14. chulisohombre

any body ever tried a lockright for thier dana 44?id like to get one but dont wqnt to spend the money on a hunk of crap.you know what im sayin?