Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locking Hub Comparison

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Depdog, May 6, 2000.

1. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I was wondering if yall would post your experience and what you use as far as hubs. This is just for some reference to see if the majority of yall see it the same way I do. Does not matter if you have a 10 bolt Dana 44 or a Dana 60, tell it like you see it.

I have a Dana 44 with Warn Premium hubs. I love the hubs and have had 0 problems with them, just like all my Warn stuff. I have tried Mile marker in the past and they sucked, hard to enguage and stuck out more than the Warn. I have also seen several Mile Marker hubs grenaded on the trail. Yes I have seen Warn break as well, but both the Mile Marker ones were blown up on relatively tame spots at the beginning of the trails and I have gone right past and farther with the Warns without a problem.

Thanks
    Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Warn Premiums all the way. I had Warn regulars in a Blazer I used to own. No problems with either.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Warn Premies here Dep...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

4. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Warn standards,, 10yrs ++

5. lowlevel2

lowlevel2 Registered Member

Superwinch here on my 10 bolt.I also always replaced my stock umm...Ford hubs with superwinch.(but lets not get into that) Never had a prob other than they tarnish very easy.I'm in the snow belt.

89 SUB
    75 CHEVELLE
    76 CUTLASS

6. paul_cfh

paul_cfh Registered Member

warn premiums .......not only do they work awsome but they look as good too

<font color=blue>where the road ends the fun begins</font color=blue>

7. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I had WARN standard?(plastic knobs) untill they started the 360 degree turn thing. I replaced them with superwinch, it was the only thing I could find before monday traffic!

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

8. Superwinch for the past 3 years on my 3/4 ton 10 bolt turning 38's and 44's!!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

9. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Not on topic, but have you heard from dear ole Dave on the shifter?

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

10. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

Automatic hubs on mine - NOW before someone comes up with the famous "auto hubs sucks" reply - I've had zero problems with them and they do what they were designed to do (keep me inside the truck where I want to be) I've seen some people voice their dislike in the auto hubs and would like to know? - What is it about these hubs that you do not like? I have Warn Premuims on my Landcruiser and even though they have allways done me good, I dislike the hassle of getting out to lock them when I need them. Out here it is sometimes not just the weather that would have you rather stay in your vehicle ...lol

BB454
    IF IT DOES NOT HAVE 8 PISTONS - IT'S BROKEN !

11. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

Spicer, Spicer, Spicer! I have used Selectro (yucko!), Warn Standards, no problems but don't think they would have held up in the rocks, and Spicer. By the way if any of you have Spicer lockouts for Dana 60 and would like to part with them let me know! Here is what I don't like about any of the new hubs. Compare the amount of steel with any of the brands mentioned. Pay really close attention to the inside of the hub, like where the axle shaft and hub meet! Yuck! It is all pot metal garbage! Take a look at a set of Spicers. All Steel! Just try and break them! However in these days of convienience, those Warn quarter turns are so very nice to engage!

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

12. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Adding to BB454's comment: I have auto hubs, and haven't had a problem with them in the 8 years I've owned the truck. I'm not into hardcore wheeling, but the truck does spend some time on the forestry roads around here. Can someone please tell me why auto hubs suck and what exactly I can gain by switching to manual. Keep in mind that Mama drives the truck as much as I do and probably wouldn't want to have to get out to switch things around in 3ft. of snow at -40'.

13. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I've never had the auto type, but have been playing in snow and stuff with guys that did. The main complaint seems to be that they don't lock in when you want them, (may take minutes to lock) and don't unlock when you don't. With the manual hubs, you know when they are locked and unlocked. It's a very positive engagement.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

14. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

What's the matter Hennie, scared of the Loins and Tigers and Bears OH my...Lions and Tigers and Bears Oh My....hehehehehehe

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

15. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

the biggest problem i see with auto hubs is they dont unlock, if you look at the front end of most new vechices while they are driving you see the universals spinning at syncrous speed which means they are locked. the guy i bought my truck from (original owner) had the autos and told gm to take them out because he had nothing but problems, now i have factory gm manuals and have had no problems.

16. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I have the stock(I think)Spicer hubs and haven't had any problems with them. I thought about replacing them with Warn Premiums when I had the rotors apart, but with Dana/Spicer's reputation and the fact they've lasted 20 years I figgured I would just let 'em ride. It's a 10 Bolt BTW. Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC

17. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

Eagle - The animals on four legs and knee deep mud is only a problem when you go to them. It is the two leg, AK47 armed animals that hang out around our country that worries me. Quite a few travelers had their vehicles taken while they got out to check some obsticle in the road or got themselves "boxed-in" by other vehicles. I would rather have some chance than none at all.

As for not locking or unlocking when they should - I have never had that problem so far and the truck has done 140 000 Kms with these auto hubs. I off-road weekly and engage the hubs very often - maybe the secret to trouble free operation is to use them on a regular basis?

BB454
    IF IT DOES NOT HAVE 8 PISTONS - IT'S BROKEN !

18. I sure haven't

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

19. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Warn Prem.. 6+ yrs. and 0 problems.[​IMG]
    Nice to know when there locked/unlocked for sure!
    When ever I know I'm going offroad I allways lock everything in to 4wheel a few miles from the trail head to get all the 'juceis' flowing, + I'm ready to rock N roll!![​IMG]
    I never enter a mud hole in 2X so the walking in the mud sindrome doesn't apply to me what so ever!!![​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

20. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

As a side note to this thread, On the automatic hubs, I had a set on my truck when I bought it. I loved the idea of not having to get out and lock them in. That is, till one day going down the turnpike at about 80 mph, they locked on their own. Running hubs locked at speed is not a problem. I usually leave mine locked in all the time if the weather might get bad. However, locking them in at 80 mph is a bad thing. The shock of the hubs locking shelled out EVERY U-joint in the truck. I also lost the seals and bearing in my t-case and the seals and bearing in my front and rearend. I had people pulling over just because they HEARD something that sounded like my truck exploding. They hadn't even seen the parts I left scattered down the road. When I got my truck to the shop, they told me that auto locking hubs PER CHEVROLET have a life of roughly 40-50,000 miles and should be replaced. Mine shelled at 140,000 miles. I feel lucky that I made it out of that with only a REALLY high heart rate and not a special trip to the hospital in one of those cool trucks with the lights on it.

This is my word of warning. CHANGE THE AUTO's. Hennie, I know the comfort and safety of not having to get out of the truck is not just nice, but in your case, mandatory, but lock the hubs in before you leave. The only thing that will really suffer will be gas milage and maybe a little extra wear, nothing that will cost a life. IMHO, the auto hub issue, if not addressed early, can be an accident waiting to happen.

My $0.02

Kyle
    89K5

p.s.
    I switched to Milemarker only to have one of them puke it's guts out on a trip, switched to superwinch and blew another one. I'm currently running a superwinch on one side and a milemarker on the other. I'm running out of spare hubs, so I'm left to go to WARN and see how they do.