Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locking Hub Noise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Frank, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Frank

Frank Registered Member

I have a 1987 Chevy K-5 Blazer. The automatic locking hubs are making a racheting noise while in 2 WD and it gets louder when engaged in 4WD.

I plan on replacing it with Warn manual locking hubs.
    In the mean time is it okay for me to remove the the locking hub mechanism so i will be able to drive without the noise.

2. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

The problem with pulling the guts out and not swapping in the replacements is that the cap will have nothing to screw to. Just do the swap. It will take you 30 minutes tops. Pull the Automatic guts out down to the spindle lock nut. The hard part is geting the automatics out. Have to push in the outer spring and pry the lock ring off. Once you do that pull the retaining clip on the outer part of the hub and squeeze the two wires together. Then pull the hub while squeezing the wires. Might have to rethread a few screws into the hub to pull on. Put the manuals in. Push the drive shaft out with a pry bar. Snap ring on drive shaft. Snap outer ring on hub. Screw cap on. Easy!

3. I had a similar problem with my '88. Turned out that the front wheel bearings were not adjusted properly (too loose).

4. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

I just bought a set of manuals for my '91 because my autos wont pop out of 4x4, and was wondering if you need any special tools to remove the autos or install the manuals.

Mud, the ultimate paint job

5. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

Just an allen wrench, split ring pliers, pliers and a screwdriver.