Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locking Hub options for 35 spline Dana 60

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pcorssmit, Sep 9, 2001.

1. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready to do the 35 spline stub shafts in my front 60 (Chevy), and was wondering what options there are for locking hubs. The 2 I know of are having the Spicers broached out (and no warranty), and the Warn Premiums (w/warranty). I was planning on going with the Warns, but some have told me that they come with a blocker ring (which can be removed), and a set screw. I was also told that they don't "click" into position when engaged. What I'm wondering is if there is a way to get them without the set screw, and with a detent. I really don't want to have to carry a hex key around with me just to work the hubs. If I can't buy them this way, can they be modified, and will I have warranty issues? Also, has anyone had experience with broaching out the Spicer hubs, and if so, where did you have it done, how much, and have you ever broken them. I blew the dial on one hub when the 30 spline shaft went, but have another hub lined up if I want it.

Thanks,

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

2. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

You don't have to use the set screw, I've not set it several times without problems. The Warn's don't lock into place by themselves- you have to get the splines perfectly lined up before the dial will turn all the way. Usually a slight twist of the front driveshaft or rocking the tire a bit is all it takes.

3. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I've removed the blocking ring on mine and loctited the set screw. The dial turn about 330* to the "lock" position. It can occasionally need slight movement to turn the last few degrees but these things seem to be much stonger than the 30spline version. The Spicers are even more of a pain from what I've heard. These are the only two options that I've seen/heard of.