Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locking Hub question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rolled, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I am taking the locking hubs out of an 87 10 bolt and putting them in an 83 10 bolt.

The 87's splined shaft has 2 grooves in it for a retaining ring. The 83 only has one and it is too far back to use. The 87 only used the outside groove.

When I put this in the 83 will it be safe without installing the retaining ring?

It looks like it will be OK since the big ring holds it in there. Its just the one on the axle that I will not be able to install.

Any input from you pros will put my mind at ease.

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

You should be able to put the snap ring on. If you can't then reach behind the backing plate and push the axle so it sticks as far out as possible.

It will work without locking the axle to the hub but I woudn't suggest it.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Like he said. Push it out from behind, grab the U joint part and push out.
    And never run it without the retainer, it'll mess up in there, happened to me and I though just like you thought and 3 weeks later, had a big mess on my hands.

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Rolled, I had a similar problem.
    I have a 76 Dana 44 that I bought Warn Premium for.
    Eventually I found a 3/4 ton 10-bolt from the eighties (not sure what year) and swapped that in.
    When I went to swap the hubs from the old to new, I found the exact same condition that you are facing.
    I have no idea why it is like that, but it is. I tried pushing the axleshaft as far forward as I could, but to no avail.
    Here's what I did:
    I took the stub shafts from the d44 and put them on my 10 bolt. Since I was changing axleshaft ujoints, it was no extra work. And then it all went together perfectly.
    When I had the stub shafts from both side by side, it was obvious the ratiner ring groove was in a signifactly different position and would not work.
    -- Mike

5. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

TX Mudder - I just dumped the 87 diff so I won't be able to swap them.

Like you, I found them to be different. The 87 has two grooves and the 83 has one which is too far back. I first tried to push the ujoint in thinking it would move up but it was another half inch to the groove.

What does this retainer do? The only thing I can think of is it keeps the axle from moving back but it looks like it is not going anywhere anyways???

It does have the big ring holding the mechanism in, just not the one on the axle shaft.

Also - I pulled older locking hubs off to replace with newer ones from the 87 and the old ones had no center retaining ring either, but the 87 does...