Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

locking hub question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 99firehawk, Dec 12, 2003.

1. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

My 83 blazer, 350/350/208/10b/10b, with the front hubs unlocked in 2wd it Makes a noise like a bad bearing in the front. With the hubs locked ( t case still in 2wd), it doesnt make the noise, any ideas.

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

mine does the same thing and they r brand new. I think its just they way they are.

Nick

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dunno what the thing is, but my dads truck is pretty similar. Worse when that wheel has more load on it, such as when you turn.

He had it all apart, had some bearing problem I guess, but after replacing it, the problem is back again. I'd like to hear what your problem is if you find out.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Pull out the inner section of the locking hub and take a look at how it's assembled. The inner part, that is splined to the axle, spins inside the outer part, which is splined to the wheel hub. In 2WD, hubs unlocked, the inner part is mostly stationary, while the outer part spins with the wheel hub. When the hubs are locked in, the two rotate together as an assembly. There is a plastic bushing between them that must have a small amount of grease on it. There's a C-clip on the asssembly that lets you take it apart. Pull it apart and inspect the bushing. If it is damaged, you'll need to replace it. If it isn't damaged, just smear a thin layer of wheel bearing grease on the inner and outer surfaces of the bushing and reinstall it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

ok I will pull it apart this weekend thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Pull out the inner section of the locking hub and take a look at how it's assembled. The inner part, that is splined to the axle, spins inside the outer part, which is splined to the wheel hub. In 2WD, hubs unlocked, the inner part is mostly stationary, while the outer part spins with the wheel hub. When the hubs are locked in, the two rotate together as an assembly. There is a plastic bushing between them that must have a small amount of grease on it. There's a C-clip on the asssembly that lets you take it apart. Pull it apart and inspect the bushing. If it is damaged, you'll need to replace it. If it isn't damaged, just smear a thin layer of wheel bearing grease on the inner and outer surfaces of the bushing and reinstall it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The little gear that goes in when you lock the hub may also be inverted causing the splines to catch it while it's spinning.. I'm not sure if I'm using the right terms but I had that problem. So when you do lock the hub, that little gear goes in all the way so the axle shaft is actually spinning with it rather than catching it and binding.