Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locking Hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevyCaGal, Mar 6, 2001.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I just bought a pair of hubs the other day. They are Superwinch ones $60 bucks...I took them up to the counter with a bunch of stuff and paid for it all with my ATM card and walked out not really paying attention because I simply wanted to get home. I finally get home and it's raining again so I left the stuff in the back until just now. I brought it all inside and pulled it out and looked at the reciept and the dumb sales lady didn't charge me for them. I called them up and told them this and they didn't believe me! Can you believe it. I was trying to be honest thinking they'd be sweating over it and they say I am wrong? Oh well...I tried....

Anyhow here's the deal. I bought these hubs right....I have the good ol' ones that come standard when you buy rims. The ones with the generic 4x4 logo on them. I decided they had to go and I wanted to try these. I dunno how true this is...but I was told having these would maybe slightly improve my MPG. Only problem is I am a bit well, um stupid! Now when I put them on what all do I have to do...do I need to do something with the transfer case? Someone mentioned this to me. I figured I would ask you guys since you know it all. I want to make sure I don't screw up anything here....Thanks in advance.... :-)

Stephanie
    <><

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Stephanie, the hubs on your truck are auto-locking hubs. (The ones with the 4x4 logo). They unlock automagically when you're in 2WD and then lock when you're in 4WD. Changing to manual hubs won't affect your mileage, since the auto hubs were unlocked in 2WD anyway. You just have to remember to lock the new hubs before your truck is in waist-deep mud! [​IMG] You'll also have to remember to unlock them when you're done playing.

You don't have to jump out and unlock them every time you shift into 2WD. Leaving them locked in 2WD won't cause any damage, it will just keep everything up front spinning even though the t-case is not sending power to it.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You dont need to do anything to your transfer case since its a 208, which is a part-time 4WD t-case. Only the NP203's(early 70's???), which are full-time 4WD t-cases, need a kit to convert them to a part-time t-case. I swapped out my auto hubs with Warns and they work sooooo much better but I didn't gain any extra MPG.

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Leftover nuts never match leftover bolts." [​IMG]

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i also have warns on mine...its took me about 15min per side to do the swap...easy to do.

"Hondas look good under a k5's tires"

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

The good thing about having manuel hubs is it makes you get out and really look things over before you dive in. On my old blazer it took about 30-40 min to do them. I have some Warns ordered for the blazer I have now, but you never know what you'll run into. [​IMG]

[​IMG] Keep your feet dry [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>