Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locking It Up and Winch Selections

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueKnight, Mar 6, 2000.

1. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

I would like to open a discussion about suggestions on the right kind of drivetrain components to use. I hear so many things about lockers and driveability and locking up the front and the streetability. What would one suggest?. I was thinking about a Detroit locker in the back of my 12 bolt and a ez locker in the front. someone suggested limited slip or auburn gear. I usually play in mud. I almost made the step for front and rear ARB's. But do not know much about them

2nd what about winches? I was debating between a hydraulic and an electric. most situations my truck is running when im in need of help getting un stuck. But then again there are those times where you um misjudge or accidentally slip into water crossing mistake and are dead in the water. What are your suggestions. I only have winch and lockers now left to finish my project. Where is the best price on them. 4 wheel parts wanted to sell me a x8000 but I think that is a little light for a full size Chevy blazer and gear.

79' Chevy Blazer (Blue Knight)

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I recently installed a Lock-Rite in my 12 bolt and I would recommend it. In fact I would recommend buying one used from Depdog viveiros@inetnow.net He had one for around $200 a short while ago. The Lock-right fits into your stock open carrier and installs in about 1 hour. I have noticed great improvements over stock. I never really notice it is in there unless I am in the gas hard in a corner (it makes the inner rear tire squall). I dig mine alot. If you want strength go with the Detroit, or better yet get a detroit and a 14 bolt. I am pleased with my Lock-Rite and am not afraid to put it to the test.

As far as the winch, I have a Ramsey REP 8000 quickmounted on my Blazer for front or rear. My beast weighs 5800 pounds and I have pulled it out of some deep goo. I have not had it even fully loaded yet, (Tellico will be the test) so I am not sure how it performs under extreme conditions. If you just wheel occasionaly, I think an 8,000 pound winch would suffice. If you are hard core, go with a HS9000I but prepare to shell out the cash. You will probably need battery and alternator upgrades with the HS9000I. The REP 8000 draws only 280 amps at full load so I have not upgraded any electrical. Good luck.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>

3. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, on the locker, I have not really noticed all the super bad detramental on road handling that everybody says you get. Maybe in a short wheelbase jeep you would feel it, but for me, the only change in driving habbits has been to have to use more steering input in the turns, it does tend to push more in a turn.

I have a Lock-Rigt for sale like Mudzer said. It is for a 12 bolt axle and has less than 1K miles on it. Fits a stock open carrier, any ratio and comes with new thrust washers and a Power Trax Cross shaft. Cant even tell it was used. I took it out because I swapped gear ratios and had to go up in case size. G.M. wanted as much for an open carrier as I could buy a Detroit for, so I got the Detroit.

As far as winches, the book says to get one with 1.5 times as much pull as your truck weighs. I got an HS9500i. Got it from Clemson Off-Road. They have an internet special going on right now. If you buy it off their web site its $799.95 shipped to the door. I got my local 4Wheel Parts Wholesale store to match that price for a friend and he walked out with the winch for $800.00 tax included.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

4. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

I have an Rep8000 in the rear of my blazer and a mile marker 10,500 hydraulic in the front and have used both, and have had no problems pulling myself out with the REP8000. I have a 14 bolt and an original detroit locker, I am talking original. when they were called NO SLIP and the detroit locker was just the name of the type of locker. and I have had not one problem, not even the smallest thing, so I highly recomend the detroit locker, dont have any experience with the lunchbox one, but if its a detroit, its probably wicked. and about the REP8000, my friend purchased one for 400 dollars from a company he found in the back of an off road mag, not sure which one. but it was a remanufactured one, some people dont like remanufactured products, but he has had no problems at all with the winch, it actually runs better than mine.

Adam
    a.k.a. Adrock
    88 Chevy Blazer FI 383
    Aint nothin' like the sound of Chevy Thunder

5. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i, HS95i,

Get the point?

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

6. BlueKnight

Well I like the 9500, but I want a hidden winch behind my factory bumper and brush guard. I have just the right look on the front and for theft reasons a hidden winch is better. I was looking at a m8000 warn or rep 8000 ramsey. But what about a hydraulic winch?

7. Crash90K5

Crash90K5 Registered Member

First I'll start with lockers. I got a 14 bolt with a Detroit Locker (No-Spin). It's interesting when I'm heavy on the foot in a tight turn on the street. Something about mudders howling on the pavement perks my ears. It does tend to push in the corners (initially) and then, once the locker disengages, the whole truck comes around. Coming from open diffs, this was an adjustment, but I'm used to it now. Off-road is where this beauty really shines. I ran around in 2WD practically all day long cuz I didn't need 4WD. Power is always being applied to the rear even with 1 off the ground. Everyone says they're heavy duty, and I don't have any reason to doubt them. I think my tranny would let go before that thing.

Now for the front, I have a Dana60 and ARB. Haven't had to use it much (yet) but pretty much got me out of the situations I was in. I suspect it will work great while 3 and 2 wheelin' in the rocks too. While engaged, it doesn't like to turn one bit, but you can control that by flipping the switch. The reason for a "selectable" locker up front is that I like to drive up to Lake Tahoe quite a bit, and I wanted something that could be "open" when driving in snow. As far as reliablity goes, I'll let you know after I've abused it for a while. It's still relatively new.

Winches: I looked at the Mile Marker, but I heard they were slow, even the 2 speed model. I think the thing that did it for me was the fact that your motor MUST be running to use. I can think of 2 situations that I would want to get out ASAP with a dead motor. #1 would be in a water crossing where you sucked water. Well, I wouldn't want little fishies taking residence in my back seat. #2 would be a dead motor on a trail like the Rubicon, where there aren't many passing lanes. People get a little ornery when you plug up the trail. In both cases, the Mile Marker wouldn't do you any good, while the electric, with dual batteries would be able to at least get you that 8 feet or so. Having both would be great, but $2000 in winches is a little much for the pocketbook. I ended up with the HS9500i. The line speed is variable and depends on the load. The thing pretty much hauls as* when unloaded. I don't remember the web site (I did a search - choose your favorite portal) and found one for $799 delivered. Printed it out, took it down to 4WDP and they matched it, tax included. Walked out with it that night.

Wow, I shoulda been an author, I'm spewin' a novel.

Hope that helps.

[​IMG] <font color=blue>Crash90K5</font color=blue> [​IMG]

8. BlueKnight

Wow a 14 nice set up. Lock right or a detroit locker were becoming my only choices as I read from fellow K'5'ers. See I thought about putting a 14 in back but I have these really nice rims. I would have to buy new ones to mount up to 3/4 ton 1 ton diff. Ive thought about it. Expensive though for a 14.

As for winches yeah Im leaning away from hydraulic. Im thinking a 9000 warn or a 9000 ramsey tucked behind my bumper. I think an 8000 might be a bit light but im not sure the curb weight for this beast is 4300lbs and 1 1/2 times is under 8 thousand, but with people and gear it must be close to 6000 loaded.

9. Crash90K5

Crash90K5 Registered Member

I hear you. Not only did I replace the rims... I got 2 sets! One for pavement poundin' and the other for dirt crawlin' Talk about pricey. Oh well, that's what X-Mas bonuses are for [​IMG]

As far as the 14 goes, I only wanted to build my drivetrain once. I gave up ground clearance for strength. I don't know what I want my motor to look like, but it will be in the 450+ ft/lb range, so I wanted some axles and gears that can stand it.

I haven't weighed my truck, but I think one of the Corey's said that their rig topped at over 5800 pounds. I think you would be safe with anything over 9K. With snatch block you're at 18K. Good, unless you're up to the windshield in goopy, sticky, clay!

Check ya later,

[​IMG] <font color=blue>Crash90K5</font color=blue> [​IMG]

10. BlueKnight

um yeah that wouold be pricey. I might just wait it out and pick up a 14 and rebuild it. put rear discs on it and lock it up. Yes im definitely thiking min 9000. although someone said they found a m8000 for 299.00 I donr remember where. heck for that price id mount them front and back. :0

Yes and heres one. I watched a 79 bronco disappear in dark brown choclate chip mud here in oregon. only thing telling you there was a truck in there was the cb antenna. Oh yeah and the panicing driver being sucked down with his rig. We were bewildered and amazed mothier nature was so hungry. We did retrieve it. It took three Chevy's and 6 hours of digging to save it. Otherwise it was going to china