Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LOCKING LUGS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Jan 8, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Anyone know how to get locking lugs off (the round kind) with out sticking a socket on there and put it on with a mini sledge hammer? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The socket method not working? I used a 12 point "flea market" socket...it worked well. 6 point doesn't work at all...

Rene

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

See heres the deal my mom just bought them like 2 weeks ago. and she will know if i pound them off.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well, without the security socket you won't get em off without at least scratching them a bit. Mine didn't look too bad using the 12 point socket method...just a few shallow lines in em.

Rene

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

look in the glovebox, there should be a sticker with the key code on it

6. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I hardly noticed any damage to mine either and it took a lot less effort than I thougt it would. Makes me wonder if they're all that useful.

7. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Another thing to try is to tighten the remaining lugs to take the pressure off of the lock nut. I'm told that works, but wasn't necessary for me. If you're really concerned about the finish on the lug nuts you could probably use one of those kitchen rubber gripper-thingies (yes, that's the technical term) for getting lids off of jars, cut it and put it inside a slightly larger 12 point than if you were to use the socket alone.

I really didn't have to pound the socket on far and it only took a claw hammer - your mom will never notice

8. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

where can you buy locking lugs? im about to put some $$$ into my rubber and rims and i would like to keep them safe. any brand preferance?

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

You can get them at any tire shop...I wouldn't do it if I were you though...the keys are too easy to lose. Aslo, all a thief has to do to get your rims is use a socket like mentioned above. I got one of mine off in 3 minutes the first time i did it. I knew a guy that got into stealing rims - now in jail - and he just broke the window and took the key out of the glovebox. If someone wants your stuff bad enough, they will get it.