Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Locking Plate???????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Jan 16, 2002.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

DO I need the locking plate on my 85 tilt column installed in order to drive it????

If not do I need to install anything in there in order to take up the space?

1985 GMC JIMMY

2. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

They are a bitch to put back together aren't they? Do yourself a favour and do it. If your steering wheel doesn't lock it will make it a lot easier to steal.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

3. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

You can probably drive it that way if you put the same thickness washer in to take up the space, The washer will be just as hard to install as the lock-plate though. You can pick up a lock-plate tool fairly cheap. Check ebay and Lisle Tools, they are $40 form Snap-On so you should be able to find an OK one or a used one for $20.

'70 K-20 San Diego, CA
    I know, I can't spell!

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got the lock plate tool kit from Lisle. Picked it up a Pep Boys for short money. Makes it WAY easier to remove and install the lock plate. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Go buy the tool for $10. You ocuold probably turn around and sell it on here for $5 later : ) Those things save SOO much time, and work on just about every GM car and truck from 73-90 something.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?