Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

locking security console

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by djkawash, May 4, 2007.

1. djkawash

djkawash Registered Member

anyone know where I can get one of those tuffy deluxe security consoles for cheap. They cost a ton but I don't know if I can afford to for over that much. Also I you know of any other good locking security console that are very similar to this. (rear cupholders, spot to mount cd player, etc). I have a 86 k5 blazer.

2. Tire

Tire Registered Member

Well the tuffy does cost a lot i guess. But i can honestly say you get what you pay for. I am a ccw holder and needed a place to put my carry gun when i go to certain places and my carry gun was double what the console was plus It can hold my cd player (deluxe model) gun + cd protection priceless. I bought mine after reading the product review right here on ck5. I also thought about putting a ignition kill switch in there for theft protection. kk that's my 2 cents

3. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I've been looking as well. Too much for me:D

Ya know what I've been looking at? Small home safes:haha:Maybe a fire rated one:haha:Place it with the door up and hang cup holders on the sides. Go with a recessed handle for a flat top and a dial lock so you don't have to worry about spilling a liquid in a electronic keypad.

Less than half the price and twice the security:D

4. mstockton

mstockton Registered Member

Just build your own, thats what I did :D

All 1/8" Diamond Plate steel with locking latches, you'd need a torch to get into mine, plus I built in a front plate for a cd player and my CB. just takes some time to build. Besides, even if they rip it out of the floor, the thing takes two people to get in 'n out, it weighs about 80 pounds.

-Martin

5. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

i've seen the tuffy consoles on craigslist before. I've owned one and it was freaking bombproof. They look good, they work, and they are easy to mount. I'd save for a tuffy console. Ammo boxes work but are not the most asthetically pleasing storage container.

6. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I got mine at www.4wheelersupply.com about four years ago. I did a lot of searching for the best price and went with them.

7. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I think they run about $250 on ebay.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

For the time, effort, and money that goes into making a box as good as a Tuffy, they are well worth it.

Only reason I can see making one yourself is A)you are broke and you have all the equipment already on hand to make it, or B)Tuffy doesn't make one that does what you need it to do.

9. mstockton

Exactly right, I had all the steel, I just had to buy the latch, and I had an idea for one that no one else made. It was a lot of hard work, but now I have something unique, that looks good, works well, and is the exact size I wanted, and it cost me all of a whopping $30 (for the latch). But it was a ton of work.

-Martin

PS I used scrap 1/8" steel diamond plate I had leftover from a project, but even with the cost of a full sheet plus the latch, your still looking at under the cost of a Tuffy (but thats only if you count your time spent on projects as free). With the labor cost, it ain't worth it.

10. Dafey

Dafey 1/2 ton status

Hell building it is more than half the fun... :grin: , :grind: :weld:

11. silveradoreb

silveradoreb 1/2 ton status

Anyone have pics of the these Consoles? Either homebrew or the tuffy ones?

12. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

HHHMMMM where's ryoken with his creation?????????????????????????????:D

13. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Here's my Tuffy. Forgot the model # but it is the 10 1/2" wide model. Some of the best $270 I've spent on my rig. Makes a sweet armrest as well. Don't drink beer or eat fast food for a month and in 30 days you'll have enough money for a Tuffy. Sh1t, with some of us that would be 2 weeks.:D

DSCN0383.JPG

DSCN0383.JPG

14. mstockton

Damn right :D