Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lockright Gone Bad

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88k5canuck, Nov 20, 2001.

1. 88k5canuck

88k5canuck Registered Member

Has anyone had a Lockright locker go bad in 3 weeks? I am in the process of trying to figure out what the problem is. I'm running the stock 10 bolt axles with 4.10 gears & stock 350 with 33's. Almost from the straight the locker was bad when going in a straight line. It would bang 2,3 or 4 times in a row & the back end of the truck would shift in the road. The Lockright was installed by a very good 4x4 shop that installs these all the time. They said the install was good & checked the tolerances before they removed it tool. Everything okay. I checked tire diameters. Okay. The Powertrax guys want us to send the broken locker to them before they warranty it. That is crap. I live in Ontario Canada. I am going to be without a locker for a while!
    I suggestions on what happened would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

I sorry about your luck, really I am. I put one in mine about 4 months ago and have had no problems, it might just be part of the break in too. I'm running a 400 ci, TH700R4, 10 bolts w/ stock axles and 3.73's with 33's. However I did mine myself so I know exactly how it was done just so the if anything were to go wrong with it I would know what needed replaced, it really wasn't hard at all the directions are really good!!! If a shop did it and they do a lot of them then have them take the cover off of it and look to see if anyhting is binded up for any reason.Also it could just be break-in too I don't know as to I put mine in and did exactly what the manual told you not to do, the next day I tow a heavy trailer up a really steap hill and across half of the US form Oregon to Nebraska, Mine broke in really quick!!! The rear end got so hot in just 40 miles that I had smoke coming off the hosing from the buring grease and paint but I stopped at a buddies house, put new fluid in it and off we went with no troubles yet, I love mine. Also it could be a factory defect they have to have one once in a while slip by them>not everybody can be perfect suchas we are around here>ha ha ha..... Let me know what the problem is if you don't mind, I would really appriecate it, just in case mine happens to have the same thing happen to it later. Also did you change the gear lube after a couple of hundred miles??? Very important!!! So that none of the break in metal fragments gets in between the teeth or in the bearings!!!!

Also there is going to be a little more noise than what there was before hand, before/during/after cornering.

Thanks, (in advance)
    Hawglet
    hawglet@excite.com

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

It could aslo be that your stock open carier is wore out. If the tolerances are too much in the carier it wont work rigth. The manual tells you what the tolerances are. I put one in the front of the Jimmy because I new the carier was like new since the original owner never took it offroading.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. stimpy

stimpy Registered Member

Hey Canuck,
    I've had mine in for a year now, and no problems yet. Hope you figure out your problem.

Todd Miller
    Lake Tahoe, CA

IF IT'S SNOWING AND DEEP I'LL BE MAKING TRACKS!!!!!

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

This is probably not the problem, but did you buy the Hardened Powertrax Cross Pin? I think they give you crap about the warranty if you use the stock pin.

Have the shop take it back apart and make sure they installed the Thrust Washers and all of the Springs.

You checked the diameters, but check teh Circumference(rollout) of the tires. Check the pressures too. They need to be the same.

Good luck. If you can get this problem solved, you will be very happy with it. I have 3 and I like them a lot.

6. 88k5canuck

88k5canuck Registered Member

Well I got a new Lockright installed. Powertrax covered the warranty. They were good about it. The truck was only down for 3 days. We still don't know exactly what happened. When the locker was removed the only damage was too the teeth. They were ground down a little. It looked like all the teeth had little chamfers added to them. The hardened steel pin was installed the first time too. I don't know if it make a difference. Anyway I will update you guys in a couple of weeks with the results.
    Thanks for the responses