Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lockright help?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dleroy43, Jan 20, 2006.

1. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I put a lockright into my D60. It drives the passenger side fine but not the drivers side.I tested it before I drove and all seemed normal. When the wheel has weight on it and I give it gas, it just clicks/slips. I have put new springs and pins in. I have also added more thrust washers to make it tighter than the 5/32 recomended gap. I have been taking this thing apart many time the last two weeks and it still is not working. Any ideas or help?

2. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My best idea is to pull it all out inspect. Have lockright front 10b and rear 12b and no problems.

CB

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

?? I'm not fam with the D60 kit but the 10B doesn't have adjustment IIRC. I would think any deviation from nominal gap will change the torque split?

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

What brand ? New or used ?

I have no problems with the Powetrax ( Richmond ) Lockright , but had problems with the QuicLoc/Detroit EZ Locker .

Mine would however work wheeling , even though it slipped on the street in my rearend .

I tried the different thrust washers thing too , and it would go away for awhile and then comeback right after I posted up that all was well .

Look for the teeth edges to be rounded , and wear marks on the pinion shaft .

5. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

We;ll have to wait for dleroy to wake-up, long night.:haha:

6. dleroy43

I bought it used but there were no marks on the teeth but from the two times I tested it I could see wear already. I did have the gap between the two halves at 5/32. When it was there, there was no pressure for the springs so one fell out. When the pins are in the two halve barly seperate, this doesnt seem right to me. I put in some longer springs to seperate it better but it did the same. I ordered new springs and thrust washers and dubble cheaked everything. it just has a louder click now.

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Did you get their instructions? If not, they're on their site.:confused:

8. dleroy43

I looked at the instuction from there site and looked a couple install writeups but my truck is always difficult when things are supposed to bolt up or slip in, it never does thats where half my parts in my garage come from.

I think I am just going to go piss on it and see what happens

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Yea, I remember the instructions were a bit of a minefield; I've only done corp. 10B Lockrite and PowerTrax. And one of the springs did take off for the fifith dimension.:haha:

10. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

[hijack]What does IIRC mean?[/hijack]

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if i remember correctly its used all the time, and is common knowledge.

12. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

13. dleroy43

I put some longer pins in today, it trys to move the tire till it clicks now:crazy: . I did notice that the there is a lot of twist in the two halves before it turns the other side. The pins seem very small compared to the holes in the couplers. How much larger is the hole supposed to be? Perhaps the holes are worn out :( ?

14. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You don't want to fart around with changing things . Just get a replacement pin and spring kit .

The way it is SUPPOSED to work is by the crosshaft turning with the carrier , the tires/axles sitting there waiting with the drivers on the axles , the shaft hitting the couplers , ramping them out , they hit the drivers tight and lock , thus turning the axles/tires .

They springs do not need to be any tighter , the pins do not need to be any longer . It can be loose enough to pry with a small screwdriver or your finger and still not fall out .

And they are supposed to click when the couplers and drivers overrun each other , thats what they do .

Sounds to me it is either worn out , or the wrong application somehow .

What other axles have the same spline count and could possibly fit :thinking:

15. dleroy43

I put new springs and pins in last night and they fell out.
    they are not supposed to slip under throdle which it does
    it is probly worn out another reason for me to not like Pirate4x4 and or texans

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  16. dleroy43

well called richmond gear and they said it should be working. :surepal: N.S! if the pin isnt dented and there are teeth on the couplers then it should be fine:confused: . He was also puzzled how one side works and the other doesnt. He suggested swaping sides and or adding more thrust washers. I already had to tap it in with a hammer. I dont think I f-up the installation so much that it wouldnt work. :doah: :dunno:

17. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Don't know if this will help but I was at a point where I was stuck, for days. Of course it was the weekend so a phone number was no help, said leave a message; they never did call back. What I had done was overlooked the washers in the stock set-up, and the instructions did say to pay particular attention to it, obviously a very common occurence. Those washers are such a perfect fit, even looking at them you can't see them. Fished them out, everything fit.
    I'll say one thing, you sure don't give up.

18. dleroy43

its just pissing me off becouse it SHOULD be working there isnt enough parts to couse this much irritation. Do you mean the thrust washers? I added more of those. Ill try tomarrow then if it doesnt work then the open is going back in.

19. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Boy... that's no lie. I've been on that board for two days now and people are already being cock-smokers. :rolleyes:

Oh... no help with the diff. Sorry.

20. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Like caged Dobies with spike collars?:mad: