Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lockright in the front axle?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pookster, May 12, 2002.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I was reading the post about the LR vs DL. Seems everyone says go with the LR and not the EZ locker.

so my question is (since I just spent some big bucks putting an eaton posi into the rear)...

Since my front is an open carrier, it is perfect for the LR.
    However, everyone complains about the steering. I would have thought since most people are running manual hubs anyways, the axle shaft wouldnt be responsible for any of the feedback from the LR, and hence.. you wouldnt even know its there.

Am I missing something here? As long as your hubs arent locked, you shouldnt notice anything.

2. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

On the street with the hubs unlocked you won't notice anything. With the hubs locked it'll click and bang like crazy and won't turn as sharp.

If you do a lot of driving on the road in 4wd I'd stay away from a full locker, but if you only use 4wd offroad then go for it.

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

With the hubs locked and tcase in 2wd, you will hear it click but the steering will be unaffected. When you shift into 4wd, you will notice understeer. I suggest adding a power steering cooler when you add the front locker. Just go to the parts store and buy the smallest tranny cooler they have. It will make a good power steering cooler.

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have an EZ Locker in the front of my K5 with Dana 44. I have never had a single problem. The only thing you will notice offroad is during tight trail driving, there will be times the front end will "push" a little more than usual. Never had to unlock a single hub to turn. I recently broke my Lock Right in the rear of my K5, so I have to wonder - which is better?

One thing for sure - You will notice a MAJOR increase in offroad ability after adding a locker in the front. Its like a whole different vehicle. Look forward to finally doing almost anything!