Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lockright install estimate

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76K5, Jul 30, 2001.

1. 76K5

76K5 Registered Member

I have a 76 K5 with a 12 bolt rear. I am getting ready to order a lock right for the rear. I am not to familiar with rear end work so I am going to have it installed( hopefully I can watch so I can do it next time). Anyway I was curious as to how much this job would cost assuming labor is around 50 an hour. Also will the installation of the lock right cause any problems down the line when I get the money to regear. Basically if I get the lock right put in with my 3.07s will I be able to reuse the locker with 4.10s in the future? Thanks for the help everybody!

If in doubt, gun it.

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

The difference between a 3.08 and a 4.10 is the depth that the ring gear is set. There is a carrier change between the two gears (diameter of the pinion, 3.08 larger and 4.10 smaller). It runs from 200 to 300 with the average at 250 for the rear. If you've already ordered a lockright and want to use the 3.08 gears, make sure you have the one that fits them. You'll need a ring and pinion install set also. When you go to change the gears over, you can order the 4.10 thick gears, and you will need another r&p install set, plus another 250. Best bet is to get it all done at one time. My .05.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You can do it yourself. A brain dead person could do it. If you lived nearby I'd do it for free. It's that easy.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. 76K5

76K5 Registered Member

So if I understand correctly when I order the lock right I must specify that I have 3.07s, because there is a difference between the diameter of the ring gear between 3.07s and 4.10s. Also will I need a r&p install kit to install the lockright with the 3.07's? And what exactly comes with a r&p install kit? Thanks for your help!!

If in doubt, gun it.

5. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

An install kit should be a complete kit that will include the carrier bearings. Don't reuse the old bearings, usually destroy them when you remove them from the old carrier. And yes you need to specify that you have 3.08 gears in there now or your ring gear will be too close and wont fit. Carrier change I believe is 3.73 and up. Now that I think about it, you'll only use part of the install kit for the carrier and the other part for the r&p change (pinion bearings, races, crush sleeve and seal)

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

They're right, its cake. You only need like 2 or 3 wrenches to do. Just jack the truck so the back tires don't touch the ground and pop off the diff cover. There's a pin running through those little bitty gears in the middle, undo one bolt and pull that out. Then go push in on your tires and that should move the axles in a pinch and these little clips shaped like C's will fall off. Then pull the tires back a few inches so the shafts disapper into the tubes. (if its a pain to move you may have to take off your tires and drum). Make sure your driveshaft is disconnected and grab the yoke and turn it a little. All those little gears should start to move and fall out. Now your carrier is empty and just do what they say in the directions. You'll get more dirty than confused to be honest. I'm sure I've got that procedure wrong because I about dropped my spiders when I was playing with my 12-bolt on the bench on the rebuild (I figure most things out by accident, haha). I'm sure if I didn't stop they would have fallen out. Like mentioned before though, do 4.11s and do the lock-right at the same time.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

7. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

lock rite is pretty simple, and the directions are pretty good
    like the others said do it all at the same time, and should be no extra cost to install the locker

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Since you don't need to unpress any bearings to install the loc-rite (all it's doing is replacing the spider gears). The money you will spend is the initial cost of the locker, 2 cans of brake clean, rags (usually you have some laying around the house), differential cover gasket, and 3-4 quarts of high quality gear lube. If you have a shop do it, it should be no more than 1 hour for labor. Keep in mind you have to pull the axle shafts in order to get the carrier out. When this happens you may notice that the brakes could be worn, bearings could be worn, and axles seals should be replaced so that may add a few bucks. All in all, you can save money if you have access to a jack, jackstands, and common hand tools. The directions are straight forward and you should be able to easily do it in under 2 hours even if you know squat about differentials. If you decide to do it yourself, PM me and I can give you more detailed info, and lots of other CK5'rs will be at your disposal for information if you run into snags.

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Some of these guys must not know what a Lock-right is!!

The Lock-right simply replaces the spider and side gear inside the stock carrier, meaning that you do not need to disturb bearings or gears and there is absolutely no reason you would need a ring and pinion installation kit just for the Lock-right install. Actually, I don't think you even have to remove the carrier at all.

Concerning whether the Lock-right for 3.08 gears will work later on when changing to 4.10 gears, simply call one of the gear places and ask. My guess is that there is only one part number for all 12-bolts, but I can't say for sure.

When you go to lower gears in the future, having the Lock-right installed now should have no effect what-so-ever on the cost of changing gears, assuming there is no difference between a Lock-right for 3.08 and 4.10 gears.....which I doubt there is.

For labor cost, I would pay absolutely no more than $100.....and find a shop that's familiar with them.

10. Leadfoot

You may not have to take the carrier out, but it's a heck of alot easier. The carrier break for the car 12 bolt is 3.73 (not sure if it's the same for truck or not). If he goes from 3.08 to 4.10 he is going to need a different loc-rite unless they make thick 4.10 gears to fit the 3.73 and down carrier. If they do, then there is no issue.

11. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    just in case you were wondering----they do make a thick gear 4.10s that go on the 3.08 carrier---HispanicPanic had that until he broke the detrioit e-z locker nad got a full detroit in stead. And this is on the 12 bolt

sun desert offroad http://community.webshots.com/user/scoobydann

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yep, I agree. They make thick gears for everything now. There's no reason to ever change carriers anymore.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

13. lukerz

lukerz 1/2 ton status

Hey Leadfoot, where are you from in western MA? I live in Agawam.
    Lukers

83 K10 from 76 K5 &amp; 83 C10
    Th350 Np203 355 CID
    31 X 10.5
    Plan on 2" body lift

14. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Hey, when you get it all together and are ready to install, contact me, I'd like to it installed too.

thanks

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

15. Leadfoot

In response to lukerz: I live in Hatfield (just North of Northampton), and work in Springfield.

For 76K5: When you do get the Loc-Rite and decide to install it, shoot me a PM and I will help you out any way I can. I have installed 8 Loc-Rites so far for friends of mine. Once they've seen it done, they have said "Oh, I could have done that". That being said, after you read the directions and ask us any questions you have, you should be able to do it on a Saturday afternoon.