Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LockRight install on a 10 bolt front (UPDATE)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wrathORC, Sep 18, 2003.

1. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

UPDATE:
    You do have to pull the driver's side axleshaft out to install the LockRight in the front. There is barely not enough room to get the side gears out. It took my 5 hours between the front and rear axles to install them. You could do the rear in less than an hour if you have drum brakes unlike my discs. It took me an hour and fifteen minutes to do the rear axle.

SIDE NOTE:
    As far as offroadability is concerned, this is the second best modification I've ever done. The first one, of course, was good tires. For someone choosing between lifting and locking, I'd go with locking first. There's nothing more cool than being able to hit both tires at the same time on a wet 14" maple log and just crawling over.

I've been digging through the archives but no one has explained if you can install a LockRight in a front 10 bolt without removing an axleshaft. Has anyone done it before?

It seems like I remember my front axleshafts being quite a distance away from the crosspin and actually not sticking out much past the the splines in the side gear. And since the face of where the c-clip rides on the splined part of the LockRight is pretty much flat I was thinking I could get it in there pretty easy.

Of course, I could be smoking something. But it seems like I could persuade the axleshafts to slide out a bit (maybe remove lockouts so I can get the snapring out?) and then I could finesse the LockRight halves in there. I don't know. I'm operating on a shady mental picture from three months ago.

I'm just wondering because this would make the front install a 45 minute job instead of a 2.5 hour job.

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Re: LockRight install on a 10 bolt front

I had to remove hubs, spindles, etc. and move my shafts back to install the Lock Rite. This was on a 80 3/4 ton 10 bolt. Good luck, its not really that bad a job.

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

OK, that's what I was afraid of.

See, I don't really have the time to spare for like an entire week. I just recently had the two axles apart to rebuild them so it won't be too bad. It's just the time. It takes about twenty minutes to yank it down to the axleshaft, half an hour to clean and repack, 25 minutes to assemble, another ten to put the tire back on. I'd only yank one side, probably the driver's side. I guess I should read the destructions, eh? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And I'm not going to save any time on the rear either because of the disc brakes and having to pull a caliper.

thanks for the info

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it wasn't too bad. It took me 5 hours between the two axles. On the front, I just pulled out the driver's side shaft so the end of the shaft didn't stick out past the carrier.

thanks

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Good deal, glad to see it went off without a hitch. Youll love the extra traction.

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Oh, I already do. I was in a situation today where if I hadn't had the lockers I'd been stuck without help in 4' of water.

I don't know how well they'll do on the 300" of snow we get each season though. I figure if I don't like them in the snow I'll yank 'em and put my spiders back in.