Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lockright Installation Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by noahrob, Nov 25, 2006.

1. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Hi,

I am installing my lockrigth and have a question, am I supposed to get the pinion shaft all the way out to take out the spider gears? If so, how, it does not clear? If not, how do I get the spider gears out?

Dooh. Front Dana 60.

2. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

not sure for a D60, but on my rear 10bolt you have to take out the pinion shaft in order to get the spider gears out.

3. noahrob

I am pretty sure that is true for D60, but can't get the pinion shaft out, it hits the gear...:confused: I am so lame...

4. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

you'll probably have to take the ring gear off the carrier. i know i had to when i did my lockright.

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yeah...it has to come out to get the spiders out. I also had to take the ring gear off to do this. Just remember that the ring gear bolts are reverse thread (righty=loosey.....lefty=tighty)and that you need to loc-tite them back in. Once you get the ring gear off and the cross pin out...just rotate the spiders until you can pop them through the "window."
    -Harrison

6. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

That should be in the instructions, but ow, what a pain!

7. noahrob

I am retarded! You ever have a problem addn you just sit there and look at it for a LONG time and then wham, you realize the issue...I assumed the shaft came out the side that the pin was in since it just fell down as son as the pin came out, but it does nto, you push the shaft through and it comes out the other side no problem, clears the ring....

Anyway, after that the hardest part is getting the springs, everything else is pretty straight forward.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

In a front that removed from the housing , the springs are easier , with a little finger maipulation , you can rotate the whole thing in the carrier so the spring locations are in the center of the big hole in the carrier , then put the pin back in last :thumb:

In the housing , its only moderately a PITA . But Spicer axles ( Danas ) are a PITA anyway since you have the damn roll pin for the cross shaft ( I have done two d44's ) .

9. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

so can you install a lockright in a dana 60 without removing the carrier from the housing. I know on my dana 44 I had to take the ring gear off to get the crosspin out. If I can get away with popping the cover and swapping the spiders for a lockright then thats the way I am going.

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I think it is dependent on the ratio. My 4.10s allow the cross shaft to clear but I have been told that 4.56s will not.

Ira

11. noahrob

Yup, I opened the cover, got the spider gears out (after staring at them for about an hour like an idiot...see above) and put the lockright in.

It took me about 6 hours, but 1 hour was staring at the cross shaft trying to determine how to get it out. 30 minutes was waiting for my wife to bring me a small punch to remove the cross shaft pin. 1 hour or so was jacking the truck up, taking off the driver side wheel, hub, spindle etc (the driver side axle shaft needs to be pulled out of the carrier to get the spider gears out). I could do it from beginning to end in about 3 hours if I had to do it again.

12. noahrob

Oh yeah, I run 4.56

13. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

sweet! I run 4.56 also. why did you have to pull the one shaft? everyone I have done or seen done where the carrier is left in neither shaft was pulled.

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I did not pull my shafts to put my welded center section in but it was kinda like a puzzle to do it that way and get the u-joint "phased". Pulling the shaft just makes putting the locrite in easier.

Ira

15. noahrob

To be honest, I have no idea if you HAVE to pull the shft, but without doing so (and it is really easy after you have done it a few times...althought the first time was the worst) it is difficult to get the spiders out, but looks like it woudl be real difficult to get the lockright in. Having that little bit of room to move the lockright drivers around was very helpful

16. pauly383

Shafts get pulled . I have never measured the space left by the crosshaft . But I have top believe it has to be smaller than either side coupler or side gear on the lockright . Someone prove me wrong with pics and a write up :thumb:

And I would like to know how the hell a welded center section goes in when the axles are in there , unless you cleaned and welded it in the truck :deal:

17. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Hold on and I will find the link to the writeup I did:D .

Ira

18. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

19. pauly383

Sure , that way works welding , thanks , but does a lockright fit there without pulling shafts ?

Is a D60 that big on the crosshaft ?

20. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I dont think a lock right will. I have never seen one but it is really tight with just one side gear at a time so a lunchbox locker I think would not go without pulling atleast one shaft.

The cross pin on a 60 is about 1" in diameter.

That way of doing the welded front was incase I hated it and wanted to go back to open until I could afford a detroit. I really like it personally and broke my front driveshaft the first time out with it:o . I will still go with a detroit but not until I step up to 5.13 and need a new carrier.

Sorry for the hijack back on topic, How does the lockright work, any test runs yet?

Ira