Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lockright Locker banging

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88k5canuck, Nov 13, 2001.

1. 88k5canuck

88k5canuck Registered Member

I just got a Lockright installed about 3 weeks ago. Excellent offroad, but is pretty noisy in the city. I understand you can get loud banging when in locks up after a turn. But the noise I question is when I going on a straight road & accelerating I get 2 or 3 bangs in a row(very quickly together). Is this normal. I am running 35" BFG Mud tires, 4" lift, 10 bolt axles, 4.10 gears, stock 350 in my 88 Jimmy. The transfer case seems to have play in it. Would this make the locker bang more? Any I checked the tire diameter, they are both very close to each other. Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks for your help guys

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had loc-rites front and rear (now just rear) and I only got a bang every once in a while and never when going down the road in a straight line (usually only got it when going backwards to forward while turning).

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Check your tire pressures. If one side is lower than the other that tire will be shorter and want to spin faster than the other.

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Not good....

After installation, there is supposed to be a "build" dimension checked between the 2 main couplers.... something like .160" if I remember right. Dbl check this.... If it's too large, your carrier is stretched and you may need thicker thrustwashers (available at the dealer). Also... did you install a new cross shaft?

Marv