Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lockright noise?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by southernspeed, Jun 23, 2006.

1. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I did a search on this and read a few posts but have to admit I didn't read through 249 posts.
    I have a Lockright in my 12blt. Works fine but it is sooo noisey when turning!
    I have carpet and soundproofing and it is still LOUD. It's not so much a 'ratcheting' sound when you turn as a 'hitting the chassis with a hammer' sound! People turn and stare when I pull out of a junction!

So, question is....am I alone? How does yours sound?
    Also, oddly, it seems worse (loader) making a right turn.

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It ain't the Frenchman ya ran over a forenight ago, makin' the banging sound is it? :laugh:

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

That's what they do:p:

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well , as long as the install is good , and the unit is good . And the 12 bolt is within tolerance , it shouldn't do it often . ( speaking of Powertrax Lockright , the real deal ) .

Gotten so used to it driving , it hardly ever bangs at all .

It does like to go bang when I do something important though , like repair something else and try to test drive it . Just got a straight ( first time in 4 years LOL ) tie rod from Marv . And on the way home it popped around a downhill right turn and thought my "new" tie-rod popped off :thumb:

5. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

This is LockRite in the rear? Thats why there is also available the NoSlip. It does the same LSD action without so much of the blacksmithing noise. I have LockRite in the front and sometimes it sounds off like hearing a depth charge from inside a sub. I put the NoSlip in the rear and it made some minor noise for the first ~month, but after that you don't even notice except both wheels spin.:D

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

What weight gear oil are you running? I have a lockright in my front 10 bolt that I bought used already installed in the axle. The PO said the lockright used to be loud in the front. Then he switched to a super heavy gear oil and he never heard anything from it again. I personally have never heard a peep out of it in 3 years.

The gear oil used to quite this is Redline Heavy Shockproof gear oil. It isn't cheap but it works very well. I think Pauly is running that oil now too to try and help with the bangs.

Harley

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Good tip, thanks.:thumb:

8. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

sounds like you need a spool my man!:haha:

9. southernspeed

The Frenchman wouldn't make any banging after I'd run over him....but there is a strange onion smell!

10. southernspeed

Well I wheeled with it today and all was well, it's just noisey on the street. It's a powertrax one and the axle's fine, running 85/90 oil. If it's ok like that then I can live with the noise as I love the extra traction!

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you can live with it is should be ok. When you change your gear oil next just use something heavier in the gear oil department to help dull the banging.

An oil like Redline Shockproof or Amsoil Severe Gear with heavy pressure additives helps is a good choice or even just a standard 85w-140 dyno oil should help too.

Harley

12. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have one in a rear 44, and it just clicks when going around a corner. Have you taken the cover off to inspect for anything loose, like the cross shaft?

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

then he'd go from a clickin' and clankin', to screamin tires that go bald in 6 months,,,:crazy:

14. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I have one in my 14BFF. It regularly chirps the tires and sometimes bangs. Getting it to lock/unlock is fairly predictable now.

15. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I have one in the fornt of Patch, the wonder Yota. Usually makes noise when bound up. From your description of the noise it sounds about right. Sure would swear sumthin just broke up there, but you'll get used to it.

16. southernspeed

The original cros shaft (12blt) was junk after 400 miles. I did check it for hardness before use but it didn't last long. I got one direct from Powertrax so hopefully this one will last.
    Went wheelin' this weekend plus 130 miles on the highway round trip and i'm getting pretty used to it and getting to learn how to drive tight turns better!

17. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Now that I think about it, last change I put in Mobil1 75W-140 and they did get quiet. That with the favorable replies, it seems they do respond to the high vis synthetics.

18. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah I have a lock right in my rear 10b and the best way to put it is bitter sweet...

I run 85-140 gear oil and I never hear a peep as far as clicking around corners. But ever since I did my gear swap on my rear diff, I have had a lot of play in the diff. It is not the ring and pinion because I know they are set up corectly. I looked at the cross shaft and it was worn so I relpaced it with their recomended cross shaft and it didn't help. So I investaged more and the play is all from the locker so I will have to take it out and check it over for wear. The good thing is that is is still under warrenty so I will probably be calling Power Trax soon :rolleyes:

19. berserker

berserker 1/2 ton status

sounds like power trax is not that great

20. southernspeed

I think they're good for what they are. I'm getting used to it now, and it seems the noise is quite the norm. I think if you want a high end, super tough locker you'd have to go for a Detroit or similar but for an entry level locker the powertrax lockrite is good and very cheap.