Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lockright??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hunterguy86, Jul 21, 2005.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I'm building on a budget as I am a college student. What is yalls opinon on the lockright? I'm thinking of putting it in the front of my stock 86 k5. 305/700r4/208 w/ 10 bolts front and rear. I'm running 31x10.50x15 AT tires and it goes pretty dang well in the mudd for a stock rig. However I do seem to get the 3 wheel peel at times due to the open diff in the front. I plan to keep the gov loc until i blow it up as I have had zero trouble with it.

Have any of yall used a lockright in the front. Pros? Cons? Street manners?
    What can I expect to be the weak link in my axle if I put it in?
    This is my daily driver as well. And I do have manual hubs if that plays a part in this discussion.

Future plans are 4in lift w/ 35x12.50x15 MTs of some sort.

Thanks for the time yall,

Dustin

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a loc right in my 60 front and it works well. Sometimes hard to turn on hardpack but that is to be expected. I have *heard* that a loc-right in d44/10 bolts don't hold up as well because of the lack of material to build it to fit that carrier but I am not for sure.

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

My bud has a loc-rite in his 10 bolt w/ 35's on his K5. He wheels it hard and it has held up fine so far......

Easy to install too. I say go for it until you plan on upgrading axles if you are in fact going to later.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Lockright good ( grunting ) :D

I have no problems driving with one in the rear daily .

I did however break my Gov Loc on the original 10 bolt . The gov loc never even saw a rocks , just mostly street and dirt . The way it broke I could of lost my c-clips , and only the wedged broken pieces kept them from falling down .

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

yep got one in my front 10b also. Has held up great. :D

6. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Have yall had any problems with axle shafts or anything like that. In the mud I'm not to crazy with the skinny pedal unless I absolutly have to be. What is the most common thing to break on a 10 bolt front locked up with 35x12.50's

7. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I have broken a bunch, just gotta get good at changing shafts on the trail.
    In the mud you will prolly be fine. I hate the clean up so I stay in the rocks :D

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have wheeled with crazy guys , and front shafts do break , but they were running big tires with low gears and way built stuff . Mostly on the rocks here guys break steering studs more often than shafts , at least on the runs I have been on .

Use your head and carry spares just in case .

9. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

my K5 had the same set up as yours 86 305 700r4 208 10 bolts, back in high school all I did was school, work and four wheeling. It did pretty good with 31 in BFG All Terrains, I drove it through some scary stuff for such a big vehicle, open front and rear. Running 31s or 35s I would not worry about breaking anything, if you step up to 35s be careful about the 10b rear though,I am going to 35s and went 8 lug 14b semi float rear and converted the front 10b to 8 lug I would not trust a rear 10 bolt with 35s. Just reasently I saw a guy at the near fourwheeling spot break a rear 10 bolt shaft with 35in BFG muds, that gave me more convenced to trash the stock 10b.