Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lockring spun on spindle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Dec 28, 2005.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So I am going to repack my wheel bearings today, and the pass side the outer nut is good and tight, and I go to remove the ring, and it's stuck. I clean it up a bit, and I can see the tab has slid about 1/4" out of the groove. The ring is loose, but it's stuck in the threads. I can't get it off the spindle:mad: Anybody got a trick for this? Also this has happened one time before about 2 years ago...is there a reason for this. I set the bearings up to specs in Haynes/Chiltons. Thanks for any help:waytogo:

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

you may have to chisel it off with a BFH. this sometimes happens with old worn out lock rings, I will replace mine whenever they start to show a little wear. Its cheap insurance, six states sells them for about 4 bucks each!

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I've had that happen in the past. Just try and angle a strong screwdriver(flathead) or chisel on it. Get the corner edge to grab one of the holes. Then try pounding the ring back where it should be with a BFH... It would be easier if you had the style of ring with the 4 prongs hanging off of it.

This method always seems to work for me.

Another idea I had was.. If you have an extra nut with the lock pin on it. Screw it on the spindle with the pin faicng the ring. Then tighten it on until the pin catches and turns the ring. Hopefully it will still be loose enough that when you remove the nut, it doesn't slide the ring back out of the groove.

4. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't think that will work as the pin is not part of the nut. The pin will just slide furher into the nut or just break off.

5. MTBLAZER89

Ok cool thanks guys. I have a punch set so maybe I can get in there at an angle, and knock it back. I'll check back in later with an update.:D

6. MTBLAZER89

GOT IT!!

It actually cam right off. I guess I must have lossened it up enough last night. Anyway what causes this...the inner nut seemed to be correctly tightened as well, and everything looks ok. Maybe just a worn pin or lockring?

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

A worn ring could cause it. Missing pin would also cause this. Another possibility is that you didn't get the pin and the lockring to line up 100% the last time it went together and the ring could have been spun...