Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LockRite, etc.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Woodman89, Sep 13, 2000.

1. Woodman89

Woodman89 Registered Member

First I feel it is necessary to say that this is the best message forum I have ever come across on the internet.

Does anyone know where I can find a K5 spoiler(wing) or front air dam without paying factory prices?

I also got a lockrite for my van (89 3/4 ton, 10 bolt). I plan to install it this weekend. Any tips / tricks that you guys know of to make this painless. According to the instruction booklet it seems pretty straight forward. I will also be replacing the axle seals as well. Anybody use a lock rite? Ive heard good reviews but would like to hear what you guys think of it. I dont plan on off roading with the van (much!) but I need more traction up here in New England during the winter.

I was told that GM started using 30 spline axle shafts in '89 on 10 bolts - can anyone confirm this?

2. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

Chevy did start using the 10 spline in 89. The locker is very easy to install. Basically take out you c-clip and pull the axles out a bit. Then remove your spider gears. Put a little grease in the holes of the locker to hold the springs in. You can then slide the locker into where the spider gears used to be. Since you will have the case out, it will be even easier. Make sure you have a large rubber hammer to get the case back in. I have one in the front of my 89 and I am very pleased with it.

3. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Not sure on the axle shafts spline. I have the LockRite in the rear of my K5 12 bolt and it works good. You WILL notice you have it on highway driving. It constantly bangs and clangs plus chirps the wheels when you turn. It also will inadvertantly change lanes (not that bad) when you accelerate and decelerate. I put in the heavy weight synthetic oil and it runs pretty quiet for the most part but It does pop, bang, clang, and crack (not in that order) in parking lots and around town. I really like the performance of my Lock Rite, Its just too bad I will be pulling my 12 bolt out in favor of a 14 bolt soon.

Installation was a breeze. Just follow the installation instructions and you will do fine. You do not have to pull out the carrier to do this, nor will it be easier if you do. You will still have to install it per the instructions regardless if you pull the carrier or not. One point, make sure you slide the C-Clip into the second half of the locker through the slot cut into the teeth on the locker. This will make it easier when you install the C-clip. I am not sure if the instructions say that or not, and you will know what I am talking about when you install the locker...

Good Luck.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    If that New England winter is wet snow, whact out, make sure you practice on a football feild size track, your
    going to need to become very proficient in "rear wheel steering"
    Hope it don't get to cold up there this winter.