Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lockrite?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by francis, Jan 18, 2006.

1. francis

francis Registered Member

hey folks. I am still learning so help me out here. I understand that a posi or locker is an awesome thing to have but I have always been told that you couldn't have one in the front unless you didn't care about turning any more. the more I look around this site the more I see people puting a lockrite in the front. so what is a lockrite? is it like a limited slip locker? is it made just for the front? can you turn with it? as always much regard and thanks:bow:

2. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

The lock-rite is a true locker not a limited slip. It is a locker that replaces the spider gear-side gears in your stock carrier. The lock-rite does un-lock when turning so would be fine for a front axle.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have a lockrite in the front. And have been running one for years. As said in previous post it is a lockrite locker not a LS it is a true locker. The only time it unlocks is if you dont have power to the axle and are going around a corner. Soon as you hit the gas it locks up. It definatly has steerring issues like torque steer and makes a lot of noisr pops and clunks. When in 4x4 I usually run with 1 hub locked and the other unlocked. So it steers easer, does not bind up and is not so hard on my por old 10 bolts. I lock the other hub in when i really need traction. I am also locked in the back (Detroit).
    For slow going thru poor traction/Deep stuff/ hardcore climbing offroad A locker in the front/rear cant be beat. My k5 is almost unstopable.
    But I dont like the limitations a locker on the front puts on me. Forget using one if you need 4x4 on the street if you live in snowy climate. You have to constantly shift in and out of 4x4. Because my K5 is a DD .I want a more user frendly truck. So I am loosing the lockrite getting a Auburn Electric locker. It is the best of both worlds.
    I like the lockrite but the idea of a push button locker really appeales to me.

4. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a loc-right in my front end. Sometimes under power trying to turn I fight it but usually if you blurp the throttle and it unlocks then take it eay turning it isn't too bad. Only if you have to be hard on the throttle and turning at same time but if you can break em loose it isn't too terrible either.

5. francis

francis Registered Member

6. Gixx

Gixx Registered Member

Daily Driver

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

8. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

does anyone know what you need to do to ur axle to put in a lock right? would i need to buy a master install kit and get all the doo dad tools to put the gears back in?

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Nope, nope, its relatively easy. '85 Sub 1/2 T with 10Bs. I run the Powertrax in the rear because its made for on and off-road, and I have the lockrite in the front because I only engage the front axle off-road. I haven't experienced snow yet, I suspect I would also figure the best combo, once I get there, between lock and/or unlock one hub. But for rock, dirt and mud, the front and rear work great. As for front traction diffs in gen., its great to feel and hear the fronts claw as you grind your way up and over. A local med dificulty trail is Miller Jeep, my Burb did it without assist and stock springs, just 31" BFGs, lockers and Warn hubs.:D

10. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

So you've got an 85 Suburban? Thats two of us then. Mine was a Silverado,power windows,locks,smoked rear glass,rear heat,cruise...... nice truck until the body fell off!!!!!

11. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Burggy:D :haha:

12. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Suggy? Subgy? :haha: My buddy wanted me to call it THE GRASSHOPER! No I think Sub-buggy works for me:D

13. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

burggy!:D I like that name:haha: I already have plans for mine when it gets to that point now I know what it is :eek1: do you have any pics?

14. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Hears some. Just getting started, soon to be exo'd, IROK's,lifted,geared....

IM000620a.JPG

IM000621a.JPG

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

DD or My daily driver[​IMG]

Truggy (not mine)=[​IMG]