Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lockup converter problem- update--- bubba wuz here!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sidepipes, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Finally braved the cold last night and hooked a couple of test leads to the lockup wiring.

Tested it out this morning while driving to work. No woltage and the wires...... then I stopped, I looked down... 12 volts. The light turns green, I start moving... no voltage..... I'm puzzled so I tap the brake and get 12 volts..... get up to speed, lightly depress the brakes I get 12 volts and the converter locks up.

It seems like the previous owner, lets call him bubba mustn't have put the correct brake switch in the truck when he went from 86 driveline to 89. He probably kept the 86 switch and tapped into the normally open switch.... the lockup converter needs a normally closed switch to operate properly( usually a combination switch with cruise control).

Now I know why my cruise didn't work either! I guess tomorrow I'll go to GM and get the right switch and hook it up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Now thats funny. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif