Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Loctite Form-A-Thread?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ascuro, Mar 19, 2006.

1. ascuro

ascuro Registered Member

Anyone had any experience using this stuff? I just ordered a kit since I needed a couple other parts (LCT-37390 from Summit). It's a stripped bolt hole for the tranny pan on my TH350 that I'm trying to fix. Any words of encouragement/discouragement? =)

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Let us know how that stuff works. I've always wondered but never used it.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I did..

I used some many moons ago to repair a stripped out hole in a aluminum intake manifold that one of the carb bolts went in..it worked great,better than I expected ..I have little faith in epoxies and "liquid steel" type miracle fixes,but it worked OK for that ..
    I would not use it on anything critical though..tranny pan bolts are a good candidate for it..but you can also buy tranny pan bolts with oversized threads now,I think Dorman or Help makes them..perhaps a longer bolt would allow you to put a nut on the other side,if its not a blind hole in the tranny case..at any rate,the tranny pan bolts dont need to be very tight at all,the pan squashes pretty easily..:crazy:

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have never used the stuff either, but a tranny pan bolt seems like the right type of application for that kind of product because of the low torque facters involved.

5. ascuro

ascuro Registered Member

Well, UPS somehow managed to 'misplace' my package, so I'm waiting for a second order to get to me (bunch of stuff, including the form-a-thread). I'll let you guys know how it works out though.

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

It's good stuff but as said up above it is intended for certain application only . I would not trust it in a critical or high torque condition .

Tom