Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lol, paint gurus, how to remove latex paint from on top of factory enamel or laquer ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Jul 21, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

without hurting the factory original shiny nice looking paint underneath? theres some real crap cheesy redneck latex white on top of the original metallic medium brown paint on the front fenders of the 88 caprice, theres no way to sand it as it will just all roll up and clog up paper like immediately, i been out peeling it off with my fingers! its THAt freaking soft and flexible in some areas, it REALLY looks feels like white latex house and trim or interior paint! for real..

what a crap job

may have to just get different fenders hummm.

thanks for any ideas..

i run into the wierdest crap,,.

anyone else ??

im not sure how to go about this one,,
    id rather try and rmeove it off the factory paint without gouging it or anything, etc, so that i can wetsand and paint with real auto paint, lol

hmm..

thanks

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I've seen latex paint remover in hardware stores. My guess is that it would remove the latex without removing the underlying paint. I've used it before and it seemed fairly mild. PM royken. He knows about all this stuff.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

sounds good thanks :D

lol at your sig line quote :D :thumb:

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

:D Yep, ole Mr. Twain was a clever man.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hey Randy....

skigirl is on the right track... a mild stripper will be best. something for latex would be best, but i'd bet EZ off would work too.. let it sit a little and scrape off with a plastic bondo spreader when it starts to bubble.....

if the paint is semi-clean underneath you should be able to save it.. worst case scenario would be DA it off with some 320 or 400 till you just start to see factory paint, then finish it off with a 600/1000 wetsand and buff... you'll be doing the 600/1000 bit after stripper too more than likely to pull off the leftovers and sand out imperfections left in the paint..

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Buff??

How about a lamb wool buffing pad laced with 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound??....you'll have to clean the buff pad off frequently(maybe even have to wash it)..but it should get it off OK...go easy on the buffer so you only remove the softer latex--the harder OEM paint will likely not be damaged too badly if you are careful...I've seen body shops use this method on cars that were vandalized,or parked too close to the house when it was painted! :doah: :crazy:

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

3M also makes some sort of rubber(ish) wheel that goes on your drill. It strips off decals and adhesives without damaging the factory paint. Perhaps it would also take off the latex? :confused: